Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Rebel Pride and Redneck Woman

Ever since I moved to TN I've been wondering what "rebel pride" is? I figure it has something to do with the Civil War because the flag of the "rebel" is a confederate flag. Ummmmm, the war ended a about 140 years ago! Does "rebel pride" still have a place today?



I see that rebel flag draped on the back of pick-ups. I see it printed on t-shirts of men and women wearing cowboy hats, with a toothpick grin (special emphasis on tooth in toothpick), and many men with a lump of snuff in their cheek, and round can prints on the back pocket of their jeans. I see that flag tatooed on men and women. It is hanging on the doors of some southerners.



Today I figured out what rebel pride is. It is pride in ignorance. I notice that "rednecks" are self-proclaimed "rebels" around these parts.



How did I discover this? Today is a Tuesday, and on Tuesdays the new CDs are released.



Redneck Woman was released today.



That thing sold like crazy! I don't get it. It glorifies ignorance! On Gretchen Wilson's website she states "I wanted to give a little high-five to the women from small town America. The women I grew up around are strong and proud of who they are. This is for them."



I don't understand...proud of:



I'd rather drink beer all night

In a tavern or in a honky tonk

or on a four-wheel drive tailgate





drinking beer?



'Cause I'm a redneck woman

I ain't no high class broad





having no class?



Why is this something to be proud of? I can understand being proud of "being strong", but not about the other stuff the song glorifies. Why do people want this song? Do they relate to it? I just don't get it! Is this a joke?

No comments:

Post a Comment