Monday, May 03, 2004

Further Update

I think that Sue summed things up pretty good. But, let me tell you what it was like as I was driving to Starbucks to meet Adam. The closer I got, the more nervous I got. I wanted to turn around and go home. I felt sick. I pulled up in the parking lot, shut off the car and grabbed the steering wheel as I tried to calm myself. I held on as if my life depended on it. I tried taking a few relaxing breaths. Finally, hoping that I would not be sick, I decided, "I'm just going to do this and get it behind me." So I quickly let go of the steering wheel and got out before I changed my mind again. As I walked through the door, I saw a nice looking gentleman sitting alone and looking around as if he were expecting somebody. I said "Adam?" I believe he responded with, "You must be Katrina." So, he got up. He was very tall... a definate plus! I like tall. We walked over to order coffee. He doesn't usually drink these type of things so he asked me what was good. I told him that I liked the caramel macchiato. He said, "I think I'll just have a coffee." LOL. Even though I prefer the macchiato, my stomach was in knots and I seem to do better with tea so I ordered a chai tea latte. There was a period of awkward silence as we stood there but after we sat down, we began conversing pretty steadily. So we talked for a while inside then we went outside to talk.



Adam stepped away for a minute so I took advantage of the opportunity to check my cell phone messages. Sue was panicking because my SaLT group was planning a surprise party for me for my graduation. I never miss meeting with them and the one time I do, they are having a party........FOR ME! I guess I turned the tables on the surprise when I didn't show up. So (like Sue implied earlier) it was still a surprise party. LOL. I LOVE MY CHURCH!! I called over there and told them that Adam and I had spent a couple hours together and I would leave and be there in a few minutes and the response I got was amazing. When they all found out that I was finally on a date after almost 4 years, they were so happy that they said they liked that idea better and we'd postpone the party until next week. My daughter told me that my date was the topic of conversation for most of the night! That is too funny.



Anyhow, Adam returned and we continued in our conversation. We talked about our experiences in life and what we have learned from our mistakes. We talked about what we expect from a relationship and all the important issues that needed to be discussed. Even though I was so nervous, at the same time, I was amazed at how easy it was to talk to him...especially about the difficult issues we discussed. Eventually it was past dinner time and he was hungry. I was beginning to feel like I needed something solid in my stomach...even if it was probably only a temporary thing. So, we went over to IHOP in his truck. The service was terrible, and the food was not very good. I ended up taking about 2 bites of chicken and a couple bites of corn and potatoes. We both determined that we would not go there again. LOL. But, we did sit there for a long time...and talked until we felt like we were going to fall asleep. My contacts were drying out and I couldn't even see straight! It was time to call it a night.



Through all of the talking we did, I determined that we were both as transparent as we could be on a first date. We talked about strengths, weaknesses, mistakes and lessons learned. The communication was awesome! Like Sue said, he was a gentleman who treated me with respect. He wanted to do nothing more but educate me about him and learn about me...the same thing I wanted to do on the first date. No strings. No expectations. Just alot of talking... to see if we shared the same values and had some compatiblilty.



When we were leaving I wondered if he was as impressed as I was. I hoped that I didn't say something that made him think "Noooo wayyy!" I wondered if he would ask me on a second date. As I was getting into my car he rolled down his window, called my name and said, "You don't have to be so nervous the NEXT TIME." So that gave me a little hope that there would be a next time.



I got a phone call this morning. It was Adam. Apparantly, he told his friend who initiated all of this, that the most appealing thing to him about me is my love for God. If you haven't read previous posts, check out Sue's last post about what I told her about him.



It truly was the best first date I ever had with anybody in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment