Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Outcomes of Faith

I know a family with a great faith in God. A couple of years ago the son hung himself. After that their house burned. I know a family with a great faith in God. Their children all grew up and got an education, married, have beautiful children and excellent lives.



The first three heroes of faith celebrated in the book of Hebrews 11 vary considerably. "Abel believed God and he died. Enoch believed God, and he did not die, Noah believed God, and everybody else died! The only think they all had in common is that they believed God and it pleased Him."



The above I quoted from Bruce K. Walkte's book "Finding the Will of God...a pagan notion?" It's an interesting read. He goes onto explain that the problem of suffering as in Abel's case lead people to think "a) there is no God, and life is a pathetic joke, or b) God is a cruel and arbitrary God who cares nothing for the people of earth, or c) God is powerless or d) God is alive and at work in our lives, but we do not completely understand Him." I think the last statement is an understatement. I wonder sometimes if we even begin to understand Him? Regardless, it does take faith to believe that latter concept. Many people refuse to "have faith".



Romans I clearly demonstrates that God is alive and powerful. God loves us and has a plan for our lives. We can't know everything about Him. We can't discern his overall plan. We still need to trust Him.



How can we get to know His plan? I don't know if we can, but it is not through any sort of divination. I can't make decisions based on tea leaves, drawing lots, or "If he calls me, it must be a sign from God that I should date him". Shouldn't a Christian base his following of God on a relationship, rather than a "sign"? How is it you get to know someone? You spend time with them developing a relationship.



"There is no place in the New Testament where we are taught to seek a special revelation, and the practice may actually lead to disobediance if it causes us to neglect the everday opportunities that life brings us in order to wair for a special word from the Lord." That reminds me of the story of the guy on the roof of his house during a flood waiting for God to save him. A guy in a row boat comes up to him and invites the guy in so he can be safe, but the guy refuses because "I am waiting for God to save me." Another boat comes along and also a helicopter, but he refuses to go because he is waiting on God. Once in heaven, the man demands to speak to God and asks why God didn't save him when he demonstated so much faith. God replies "I sent you 2 boats and a helicopter, what else did you want me to do?"



We can not, as Christians, discern God's will for our lives by looking for "signs". I hear people pray "Lord, give me a sign so that I know your will for me." I'm not sure that is the right prayer. I want to pray..."Lord, help me to know you more. Give me the faith I need to follow you and walk in strength. Give me wisdom and open my eyes to see you at work around me."



So, what are the outcomes of faith? A wonderful relationship with God, the Creator, who will lead you through the mountains of life and walk with you through the valleys. He may not explain things to you, but he will carry you through. I know this. He has walked with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment