Wednesday, June 18, 2003

I Need More Ram!

Wow! I didn't realize it but I am cramming my brain full of a lot of information these days. Not only are Katie and I reading the bible through in a year...again...this time chronologically, (Which is very interesting and I highly recommend it. Some things just make more sense in my mind when I read about events in the order in which they occurred.) our church is studying about God's Will. Each week one of the PLT (Pastoral Leadership Team) members gives a message about finding God's Will. The church as a whole is invited to read a book by Bruce K. Waltke titled "Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?" and our SaLT groups are being used to discuss the book and Sunday messages. It's a pretty neat set up and it's really cool to have the entire church studying one thing.



I am also in a summer bible study "Falling in Love With Jesus" that was put together by Dee Brestin and Kathy Troccoli. I'm not sure about this study, but I'm forging ahead hoping that God might reveal more to me about Himself through the study. Some of it is corny to me...it could just be my personality. A lot of it talks about (at least so far) how as women we long to be romanced by Prince Charming. There is no Prince Charming and the book goes on to say that Jesus can fulfill our romantic needs in ways we never dreamed. It talks about how he gently comforts us during tough times, enough so that we can find peace in the midst of strife. How he cuddles us with His creation. All that kind of stuff. At this point I am only 2 weeks into the study and not getting a huge amount out of it. I've heard some neat things from the other women though. I just love listening to people brag on God and what He has done and is doing in their lives.



The educational system at our church is referred to as Northbrook U. David Gushee is "dean" and also a top scholar in the field of Christian ethics. He is a Christian ethics professor at Union University. On Sunday mornings we have "class" before church. This "semester" I am taking the course on Bioethics. Dr. Gushee is leading us through "Bio Ethics: A Primer for Christians" by Gilbert Meilaender and has some really interesting insight on the topics of abortion, cloning, euthanasia, etc. and what a biblical view should be and why. Unfortunately with my work schedule I missed 2 of the 3 classes and will miss again on this Sunday. (When I'm elected President I plan to reinstate the Lord's Sabbath!) I feel so blessed by God that He put me in a church filled with so many gifted and talented people and that He has given me such a thirst to learn more and more. I'm just thankful that there are no tests and that buying the books is the only cost involved. I am being educated by some of the nations finest pastors/professors/scholars and I'm taking classes for free! Wooooohooooooo!!!!



Now, this is a LOT of stuff. It is difficult to find time to read up on everything and get it all done, but so far I've done well. I really could use another memory card though. It's all so hard to retain!

No comments:

Post a Comment