Friday, June 06, 2003

Nostrils of Fire!

Author:  Katie




I am giving fair warning that this blog is about my nose. I invite you to read at your own discression!



Today I went to get tested for allergies. I have had constant sinusitis for over a year now. One test led to another and finally I get the appointment to get tested for allergies. I thought I'd be allergic to everything. Turns out I AM ALLERGIC TO NOTHING! It figures! This is the story of my life. After telling me that I am allergic to nothing, the doctor proceeds into some explanation of how my body is supposed to have natural antibodies to fight off allergens. For some reason I don't have the antibodies I need to do that or they just are lazy or something because the job is not getting done. So, if my body doesn't have the ability to fight off allergens.......wouldn't that make me allergic? Not according to the doc. Anyhow, maybe I just didn't get the picture that he was trying to paint. It's usually that way with me and doctors.



So, here's the quick fix! (NOT!) I get two prescriptions. The first is a steroid (Flonase). Before using the Flonase I have the most exciting task to fulfill. On a prescription sheet, my doctor gave me a recipe. It consists of 1 tsp of salt and 1 cup of warm water. I blend it until the salt dissolves and then guess what? Nooooo I don't drink it! The object of the game is to flush the sinus cavity. You figure it out. The recipe says to flush until ALL of the solution is gone! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!



Anyhow, imagine what it feels like to go swimming at the beach and accidentally get water up your nose. Now, imagine DOING IT ON PURPOSE! Not once but ohhhhh 10-20 times over!



Why can't it ever be simple? Why can't I just take antibiotics for a couple weeks like any other normal person? Why can't my body just accept the antibiotics and HEAL????



Okay so, next week I go on vacation. I'm going to visit my family that I haven't seen in 5 years. When I went up there the last time I had a horrible cold and kept kleenex with me wherever I went. This time I am supposed to flush daily while I am there! WHAT IS MY FAMILY GOING TO THINK OF ME? I'm sure they will start investing in Kleenex! I imagine I'll get handkerchiefs from everybody for Christmas between now and then! I'm thinking I'll get my next invitation on "tissue" paper!



The good news about all of this is that the doctor told me that there is hope for an end to this vicious cycle. Since it's not allergies, a liftime of treatment will not have to be endured. Once this is cleared up, I should be healed! Oh how I pray that this is so!



I just loved it when I concluded my conversation with Sue's mom tonight and she said Have a good day tomorrow and have fun SNORTING!!!!! To quote Charlie Brown...."AUUUGGGGHHHHH!"



Speaking of Sue...she is coming home tonight so for those of you who have been expecting to hear from her, she has been in sunny Florida on a business trip. She is staying at a luxurious hotel resort in Orlando. Wish I could be there! Anyhow, I wasn't all that worried about how she will do when we (the kids and myself) are gone for 10 days. But, I have been a bit lonely in the evenings. I miss the sounds of puter keys being punched. I miss the sound of hearing her say to her dog "STOP LICKING ME!" AND "WHAAATTTT DOOO YOU WANT FROM ME??" as he sits at her feet annoying her for attention every moment she is home. It's been eerily quiet in the evenings. The kids miss her and so do I. I think about how it's been for us in just a few days. Sue will be here without me OR the kids for TEN days! At least I have the kids with me when she's not here. She will have only the dogs and the pig for 10 days. I'm sure she'll party at first but that'll get old quick. I guess I will hope for all the bloggers to send her emails and lots of notes! LOL. I'm sure she'll keep busy. Okay now that I have sufficiently bored any readers to tears I guess I better wrap it up!



I love to write but I really have been having a massive dry spell these days. I think of things I want to blog about all day but by the time I sit down to do it.........gone. Oh well. That's life. I have no idea how to wrap this up so I'll just stop now. That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment