Monday, June 09, 2003

I Want to Give

Author:  Katie




I don't get much time to be on the puter these days. So, when I get the chance, I check e-mail and I blog or read other blogs. On the all too rare occasion that I get to surf through a few blogs, I find that it is like reading a daily devotion...only better. When reading a daily devotion book, a person cannot comment about what he/she reads to the author. On the other hand, a "bloggee" can not only comment directly to the author about what he/she has written, but can also discuss the devotion with the author as well as with other readers. I think that is like the coolest thing!



Today I want to comment on an entry or two by Irene Q. I tried to comment at her site but had trouble so I decided to blog about it. Irene has written about her struggles with guilt in the area of tithing. First of all, guilt does not come from God. So many Christians are living defeated lives because of guilt, shame, or condemnation from the enemy. There is a difference between healthy conviction from God. The rest is just lies straight from hell.



Jesus didn't come and die to leave us feeling defeated and condemned! He died to set us free from all of that!



"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1)



I understand these feelings because I get them often myself and I have to remind myself of this scripture on a regular basis. Christ died to set us free and in Him we are free indeed! There is therefore no condemnation.



Proverbs 11:24

One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.



Here is a brief testimony about my situation regarding tithing. I often reflect on the parable in the Bible when a very poor woman only gives a few pennies. She is ridiculed for giving so little. Jesus is blessed by this. He says that she gave most of all because it was all she had. This story is what I think about when I tithe. It helps me to give cheerfully. There are so many people who can afford to write big checks and help the needy (which would be me). I get discouraged sometimes because I want to be on the giving end. I want to help others instead of always needing help FROM others. I can't see the whole picture like God can and I know that He has me in this position for a reason. I do know my calling and it will require fundraising so maybe He is teaching me humility in accepting help from other people because I will need to have that character trait in order to fulfill what He has called me to do. I don't know. But what I do know is this......when I receive help I MUST tithe. I don't see it as an obligation anymore. I don't count it as a loss. He holds fast to His promise to provide. God has never failed to multiply and return to me over and above my tithe. He does more than just provide financially. He provides physically, emotionally, mentally. I am blessed to overflowing with love, friendships, spiritual growth, encouragement, material gifts, blessings, blessings, blessings...all around me everyday. He showers me with blessings. But, being the human that I am.....I can search among my mountains of blessings to find the one thing that can steal my joy. Then I focus all my energy on that one thing. That one thing usually stems from selfishness, envy, guilt, shame, condemnation, pride, etc.... None of which is from God. So, my advice to Irene and the many of us who struggle in this manner is to remember Who sends the blessings and who steals the joy and focus on the One who blesses us. Let the conviction of tithing be a conviction, not a burden of guilt. Trust in the One who owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He is your Provider, not the government, not the person who owes child support, not your employer, not your pocketbook, not the bank. Only Jehovah Jireh. Only God. This is the secret to cheerful giving and joyful living.



I love the way God speaks to me as I read blogs. I want to reccomend a blog that is somewhat related to this issue. It is another inspiration of my blog today. It can be found at Jenn's Musings. The title is "Dried Brooks and Empty Barrels". Sometimes I see this as the story of my life. It all depends on the perspective taken. The dried brooks and empty barrels have the most room for filling.



May God rain His showers of blessing to fill your brooks and barrels today and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment