Sunday, June 15, 2003

Home Again






I'm sitting at my stepmother's computer here in Massachusetts. This is my childhood home. It isn't easy typing on this puter though because I'm not used to it.



I attended church with my grandmother this morning. It's made up of several elderly, a few older adults and about 5 children...all of whom I believe may have belonged to their new pastor (as of today). Apparantly, about 4 years ago, a pastor came to the church who caused alot of problems and many people left. In fact, most of the church left. They have had nothing but interim pastors ever since. There is really nothing there to draw a crowd since the majority of the members are over 80 years of age.



However, I got so blessed today during this very historically traditional church. They did hymns out of a hymnal to the ever so lovely sound of the pipe organ. There was a reading from the OT and Amazing Grace was sung a cappella and it was so beautiful. Then there was a reading from the new testament and another song was sung by the children. This one was also done a cappella. It was really strange because the service itself should have been extremely boring but,I got such an awesome blessing. I could feel something sweet about the spirit that was present in the hearts of this small core group of people. What was really special is that today, I was present to witness the induction of a very special pastor. God's timing is perfect. I believe He put me here today just to be a part of this most blessed event.



The Baptist churches here allow women to be pastors as well as men. It was awesome to see a minority woman speaking so boldly and full of the spirit and with the freedom that every believer should have. I don't know exactly where I stand on the issue of women in a pastoral role. I only know that this woman is over many churches and the Holy Spirit of God spoke to me through her today.



The man who is coming to be the pastor at this church has a big job on his hands and they truly need prayer at Portland Street Baptist Church. Although the service was extremely anciently historical, the Spirit was extremely present. To sit there on fire like I was....it was blowing my mind. God is about to do something awesome at this church and I don't even think they have a clue...at least most of them. I know that some of them do though.



Since the numbers were small (about 50 or so)...the service was pretty intimate. The now new pastor took prayer requests from the congregation before the service began but after that it was ALL WOMEN! Oh there was the sweet old man who played the violin. That was precious. He has just started learning to play and Oh! Get This! I was so blessed! This man went back to school to get his highschool diploma....WHEN HE WAS IN HIS SEVENTIES!



Okay, back to what I was saying...



After the children sang, there was about 10-15 minutes left for preaching. The woman preacher delivered the message since it was the induction message. It was about the fruit of the spirit. She said that fruit was fruit and not fruits because it is all one. She got to the part about self control and asked the church to exercise self control when it came time to make changes. She said that in order for growth to come, there has to be change. She mentioned that it will be difficult to keep the history of the church but also bring it up to date and that some decisions will have to be made that everybody will not agree on. She asked them to exercise patience and self control during these times and to give the pastor at least three years to bring about the necessary changes that will bring the church alive again.



After services, Grammy told me that the numbers have doubled just in the short time this pastor has been coming. I heard him speak briefly and he is a man on fire for God and ready to dig in and work hard. I felt such a presense of love flowing from him and I was moved to speak to him after the services. It only confirmed my speculations. I really believe God led this man to this church because a great revival is about to take place. I almost wish I could stay to witness it. I did get his email and he has promised to keep me up to date.



There is much more I want to blog about but I'll probably do it when I get home. This blog is already long enough.



One last food for thought:



Adam and Eve...they ate the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The fruit of this tree really came forth after Adam and Eve ate it, for truly in the sin they committed...they really did learn what good was before they knew of the evil that was born to man on that day. Without the presense of evil....they couldn't even know what good was. The fruit they bore that day was evil. It has been reproduced in mankind throughout history. Even to this day. But then came Jesus. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment