Thursday, July 03, 2003

Retail and the Christian

It is sooooo sooooooooo hard to work in retail on days like today. To top off my wonderful day at work, as I was walking up the aisle in the middle of the store, I noticed a woman standing at the counter at register #1. Register #1 doubles as the Ticketmaster counter. There was a line of 2 or 3 people checking out at register #2, so when I looked up at the counter and noticed the woman, I approached her and asked if she needed any help. She said very matter of factly and sarcastically to me, "Do I look like I need help?". My immediate thought was "you idiot", but I restrained myself and instead said "well, yes, you do look like you need help. You are standing at the counter and this is a counter we sell tickets from." (I have to admit I did say that rather smugly) She then said she was simply there waiting for her husband who was the one checking out at register #2. I said "fine" and walked away.



The whole encounter was unecessarily rude and filled with a lot of attitude. I kindly asked if she needed help and her response to that created a "mood". My response to her after that was not appropriate either. When I responded to the Daily Biscuit the other day about what the hard thing for me to yield control of? Well, it's moments like this. My thoughts turn completely human. I did NOT hold my thoughts captive to Christ. I should have responded with gentleness and respect, but instead I responded defensively like I had to prove to her that she was wrong in the way she treated me. What did I prove? I proved how much more growing I need to do. I proved how much this Christian needs to be forgiven daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment