Friday, July 18, 2003

Band Concert

My band concert tonight went well. A few minor mistakes were made, and they were all spread around, but for the most part the audience sounded very appreciative of our efforts. It was nice to hear the applause.



It was a "crowd pleaser" kind of concert because it included "American" music...A Bob Hope Tribute, a couple of marches, Bugler's Holiday, and a Dixieland Jam. It was fun music and the audience loved it!



During intermission I played with a brass quintet in the lobby where refreshments were being served. As I sat to get started playing I said "where's my book?" (foler of music). The leader of the group didn't have it. He said he thought I took it. I said "no, you made it clear that you never let the original music leave your possession." (I had copies made to rehearse from.) Apparantly, the book was left in the band room at Union University where we last rehearsed. So, he handed me all the scores and I played from that when I didn't have a copy to read. It made it interesting, but it worked! Again, the audience seemed to love it.



After intermission it was time for the jazz ensemble to perform. They played a lot of big band favorites, you know....Glenn Miller stuff and the like. I'm not in jazz ensemble...YET! (Waiting for a trumpet player to die off or something....kidding!) They really sound great too!



Next week I have my first pit orchestra rehearsal for Hello Dolly and in a couple weeks...the Jackson Symphony Orchestra! Woooohooooo! My chops are going to definately be in shape after this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment