Friday, July 04, 2003

Daily Biscuit

There are a lot of memes out there. I know a lot of people participate in the Friday Five. Friday Five is decent and obviously a lot of people enjoy using it as a "springboard" for topics on their blogs, but I have found the topics over at Gooddogbaddog more appealing. Owen creates an atmosphere that helps readers ponder their faith and other things about their spiritual walk. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes its filled with wit. I wanted to recommend that you take a look at Gooddogbaddog and bite a few Daily Biscuits.



Daily Biscuit for today, or *ahem* yesterday: Describe your Faith as a Garment



Your faith is a garment. It is any article of clothing. Put it on. Describe it; how it fits, how it feels, what is its substance, its appearance.



Looking in a mirror at you in your faith, what do you see? How do others see you in it?




I love this stuff...Owen always gives me something to ponder. I also get to excercise some creative writing and really think. so...here goes nothing!



My faith is a well-worn pair of faded blue jeans. There are no holes, the material is just soft because the stiffness of the cotton has been loosened from many washings. This is my favorite pair of jeans!



My faith is always with me, just like my favorite pair of jeans. Even though I don't always wear them, they lie waiting in the dresser drawer. My faith is always here, even though at times it may not be seen by others, and sometimes unfortunately, I may not put it on.



At one point my faith was new. Colors were bright! (I posted something about that on a previous Daily Biscuit. As I settled into my new life in faith...colors, while still vibrant, tend to fade into everyday life. Not a bad thing...just different. Also, as I grow in the faith I am continually being renewed and washed daily through the Holy Spirit and God's Mercy and Forgiveness. This is why I compare my faith to faded jeans...well-worn, as is my faith, and needing to be washed a lot!



When I put on my jeans, they feel soft, and comfortable. Over the years they have comformed to my shape and fit perfect; (this means they have stretched! LOL) and like my jeans conformed to fit me, I, myself, am being conformed by my faith and hope to fit perfect someday. The bible promises in Philippians 1:6 "that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."



Sometimes I know that others see my faith in me and see how well it fits. Other times I am not so sure. Most of the time my faith looks good on me, but there are those times when my weaknesses show and my faith is in need of a good cleaning. Yesterday would be an example of that in the words I chose to describe a certain encounter with a rude customer to an employee. At that point my faith shone through a hole in my jeans and left grass stains!



I want to wear my faith like my favorite pair of jeans. Soft and comfortable and something that fits well. Oh, and has pockets too...someplace to keep all the treasures I'm storing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment