Wednesday, July 23, 2003

My Day and Its Blessings

God just keeps providing! Not just needs, but wants...heck, not even wants, He supercedes that too!



Terry came to visit. She is a dear friend and so is her husband Chuck. We met them at Northbrook Church when we first started attending almost 3 years ago. They were new in town, we were new to the church. For some reason we clicked. Then, a little more than a year ago, our hearts were broken as Chuck found a job in Dallas. He was about to lose his job here because the plant was closing down, so he found employment in TX, and the whole family moved there. They are people that will always have a special place in my heart. Terry has a best friend who lives here, so when Terry takes her 3 week excursion (sure wish I could see Chuck again, but he can't get off work) around the Southeast/Midwest she is always sure to stop by and visit Katie and me. I think it is awesome that she has a best friend who isn't jealous that Terry spend time with us and all the other people she be-bops around to see. Her friend doesn't hog her so we can all share!



Terry and Chuck invited us to share Thanksgiving dinner with them one year and the whole framily enjoyed that time with their family so much that it became tradition. We shared Easter there the following spring, and one more Thanksgiving before they moved. I enjoy them so much because they are so intelligent and well-grounded in the faith. We could debate issues and just discuss God things, learning from each other and growing in our faith. I am so blessed to know them and doubly blessed that at least for now, God still keeps us in touch. Terry, Katie and I talked for hours and hours today. We discussed so many different things. Shared laughs and just enjoyed each other's company.



Then Dad called and asked "Are you online?" and then I hit a key to deactivate the screen saver to check and sure enough what I saw made me laugh out loud....Mom had IM'd me and all I saw in the window was



Hey!

Hello

Hello?

HELLO?



LOL! I explained to Dad that I had a guest over but asked if there was something going on that he called? He said well, I have a few questions for you and he said "Do you have a rack stereo system?" and when I told him no he continued "Do you want a rack stereo system?" and I said "Ummmmmmm, let me think about this YES!". Then Dad asked "Do you need a tv?" and I said I have a tv, but I'll take another and he said "It's a 27 inch" and I said "that will fit my entertainment center!" (the tv I am using is puny in my entertainment center and looks bizarre because it is so small) and then he asked "Do you have a DVD player?" and I said "no" and he asked if I would like one and I said "Ummmmm, let me think about that YES!" I never asked for any of this stuff and since Dad is souping up his home with a new surround sound super huge tv and all the works, he is passing along his "old" stuff. I am so blessed. His stereo has rarely been used. It's a great Technics system that makes my mouth water everytime I see it at their house NOT being used! UGH! (It should be a felony!) We don't watch tv much around here because we can't afford cable or anything, so we get one station, an ABC affiliate. I much prefer the computer! The DVD player will be nice because we do have a lot of "framily nights" and share evenings watching movies or Veggietales. Time to start my DVD collection. I want the Star Trek Next Generation Season box sets! Man, I better start saving!



Church tonight was great! Only one more week of the Parables of Jesus study and then we are moving on to something else. I enjoy this study to really dig into the teachings of Jesus and learn how to apply things to my life. Today we studied the Parable of the Rich Fool and that my DVD player, Technics system and tv are things I won't be taking with me when I die, and I shouldn't base my worth on stuff. The Parable of the Chief Seats teaches me humility, that I shouldn't assume the place of honor at the table belongs to me. I should take the last seat and know that the first shall be last and the last shall be first. God will exalt the humble. Humilty is an area that I have been working on...I have a pride problem.



That's my day in a blog...and I finally got the lawn mowed. It has been too hot recently and I noticed that the only people in the neighborhood who had their lawns mowed in the past few weeks were people with riding mowers. Our lawn and one other neighbor's yard was starting to look pretty overgrown. I am thankful for the beautiful sunshine and not too hot temps today. Thank you God for a great day! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment