Friday, May 09, 2003

The Old Has Gone and the New Has Come

Author: Katie

Well, I finally mustered up enough courage to visit downtown Jackson yesterday. I didn't see the heart of the city because it was blocked off. I did drive around the rest of the area though. It was really creepy because at times, I wasn't sure where I was. It was so different and disorienting. I went by these vacant areas. I knew that at one time something had been there but I couldn't remember what it was. I have seen tornado damage before but not like this. Not in the middle of a city like Jackson. I lived in Selmer when the big tornado came through in 1991. I thought that was bad but this, being in the city, was far worse of a disaster than anything I ever thought I'd see personally in my lifetime. It looks like there is no way we can ever recover. It seems impossible but with God.....anything's possible right?

If I had known Jackson was going to be destroyed last Sunday night, I probably would have gone to town on Saturday and soaked in some sights, taken some video, and taken photos because there is no way it will ever be what it was. On the bright side.........this is a time for new beginnings. Even though it seems impossible now, one day (hopefully soon but probably not) Jackson will be restored, rebuilt, and renewed. The communities are really pulling together to meet the needs of those who have suffered loss and people are working hard trying to get cleaned up. Although we mourn the loss of our tranquil city and it's citizens, we anticipate new beginnings and have hope that Jackson will be restored to a new and improved city, better than before with a new hope and a closer sense of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment