Sunday, May 04, 2003

"Some Tips"

Author:  Susan L. Prince

I've heard or seen somewhere that servers at restaurants are not impressed by the tipping habits of church goers. Sunday afternoon after church is a busy time for servers, lots of gluttony going on. I decided to ask my server if this was true.

I asked "Who tips better...the Christian after church on Sunday, or just regular folk during the week?" and she wasn't sure what to respond at first. I think she may have been hesitant because she didn't want to offend with how she answered, but she proceeded to say "Honestly?" "yes" I said, and she continued "Definately the 'regular' people during the week tip better. We work are butts off on Sundays and tips are light. Any server here will tell you the same thing. Business is slower during the week, but the tips are much better." So, there you have it from my own spontaneous poll from someone who knows.

I thought that was a sad commentary on Christian behavior. I don't expect Christians to lavish gifts on servers, but to be stingy and non-appreciative is unacceptable. There are servers who are not deserving of great tips, but most are very hard-working, and at very least deserve the minimum 15% tip. I look at restaurants as great places to witness. What kind of example do bad tips leave? If servers know that Sundays are bad tip days because that is when the church goers eat out, what is that saying? Christians have a label. "Bad tippers." I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment