Tuesday, May 20, 2003

To Speak or Not to Speak

Author: Katie

Sometimes the Christian walk can seem defeating. I witness, share the gospel, try to live my life as an example and teach others to do the same. Yet, it has been years since I have had the opportunity to lead somebody to Christ. I can't think of a single time that anybody has changed their ways because of my example or the words I have shared. So, I get to feeling defeated and I begin thinking that this is all pointless. Nobody listens. Nobody cares. In fact, I think more people blow me off than ever heed a word I say. So, am I wasting my time? Why should I bother? Poor me. I'm a failure.

The truth of the matter is found in the Great Commission. God calls us to: "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matt. 28:19-20).

Nowhere in this commission does it say that people will listen, or that they will learn, or that they will obey. Nowhere does it say that we have to make them hear, see, or learn. We just have to teach and baptize those who believe. Then we should see to it that believers are discipled.

Sometimes I get this all out of whack. I feel like a loser and useless in my faith because I do what I feel I am called to do and don't get the results I expect. I feel so defeated. How arrogant! As if their decision to recieve Christ is based on anything I have done!!!

It is my job to present the truth and to pray believing that God will bring fruit. However, it is not my decision or God's decision to make them accept the Truth and live by it. It is the decision of that person. God gives us all the freedom to choose. He will not bring fruit from a seed I have planted if the seed falls among thorns.

The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. (Matthew 13:22)

It isn't up to me to make anyone believe. I will not ever save a soul.

"For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through faith [alone]--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of GOD-- [alone] not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Eph 2:8-10).

By going into the world and proclaiming the good news and teaching others to do the will of God, baptizing those who believe, and following up with discipleship, we have fulfilled the Great Commission. So, what if they don't listen? What if they laugh? What if nothing happens at all? What if they get angry and rebuke me?

Matthew 10:14
"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town."

Mark 6:11
"And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them."

Luke 9:5
"If people do not welcome you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave their town, as a testimony against them."

Don't track the dirt around with you. Don't let it weigh you down and drag your step! Don't let it fester your mind and make you feel like you are useless. Shake it off and move on to those who will listen. There is somebody out there that will. There is somebody out there waiting on God to send ME! So, I will keep on keeping on for my Lord. I will tell of His love and teach others to obey His commands. I will hold my brothers and sisters accountable to Christ for the music they listen to, the things they say, the places they go. I will not force them to do anything. I will not judge them. That is not what I am called to do. But it is my responsibility to hold them accountable because they are setting an example of Christ. A lost world is watching........closely. We are to be witnesses with our lives as well as our words. It does no good to talk the talk if we're not going to walk the walk. Our life is how we witness without words. Our lifestyle is our greatest testimony. How we live sends a bigger message than what we say.

"What would Jesus do" should never be considered cliché. It should be a question we ask ourselves in every situation, every decision, every day.

I should not feel defeated if my words and example fall on deaf ears and blind eyes that are that way by choice. I should not consider it wasting my breath to speak to those who do not listen. I am not accountable to them. They are not accountable to me. We are all accountable to God. Therefore, I will speak even when they refuse to listen. My words may cause my brothers to hate me, but it is a sacrifice I must be willing to make for their sake simply because I am called by God to do so. Just as salvation doesn't come from anything I do, neither does the lack of it. However, the lack of a saved soul could be on my hands if I don't share the gospel with unbelievers. I also may be held accountable for not holding a brother or sister in Christ accountable. Whatever happens after my part is done is up to God and that person. I can not fail if I do what God has called me to.

(I bet I'll have to come back to remind myself of this many times in the future!)

No comments:

Post a Comment