Saturday, May 24, 2003

A Graduation

Author:  Susan L. Prince

I went to a graduation ceremony this evening. I hadn't been to a graduation since my own way back when. Scratch that, I did see my youngest sister graduate from high school years and years ago. Anyway, I looked forward to seeing Nikki graduate, but I can honestly say I wasn't anticipating all the boring speeches I was going to have to sit through.

Hang on.....yummmmmmmmmm, *slurp* grape slushie! Had a hankerin'. I'm thinking that they need to put warning labels on slushie cups..."Warning: Accelerated consumption may cause brain to freeze"

Ok, now back to my regualary scheduled blog. The processional began with all the usual pomp and circumstance (whatever that means) and soon the superintendent was delivering is message to the graduating class. Next we heard from the class essayist and the salutatorian. Finally we were up to the last speaker who was this young man named John William Crawford.

Young Mr. Crawford began his speech thanking the superintendent, administrators and then his parents for loving him and providing support as he grew. He told of a story from two years ago when his older brother was giving his own valedictorian speech and how he set the goal in his mind to follow in his brothers footsteps and have the opportunity to stand before his class and speak to them.

He spoke kindly about his Godly parents and his brother and how they helped him in his spiritual walk. Wait a minute...back up! Did you say spiritual walk? Yes, I think he said spiritual walk. Mr. Crawford continued..."but no one has been a greater help to me in my spiritual walk than God." Ok, now it was getting interesting! Suddenly this valedictorian address was changing direction.

This is the graduation ceremony of a city school. Southside in Jackson, TN. Secular, and what I heard tonight from John William Crawford blew my mind. He shared the story of the missionaries going to Ecuador that were all killed, yet had missionaries return later and eventually accept Christ. This courageous young man presented the gospel! THE GOSPEL! at a SECULAR high school graduation! This was getting exciting!

He went on to share how God gives him hope in this dark world and God is his foundation when the world falls apart. His charge to the graduating class was to chose between heaven and hell. He encouraged the class to listen and respond to God's call on their lives. He pleaded for them to receive Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Did you get that part about it being a secular high school?

I wondered as I drove home if I would have the courage to stand up in front of my peers, non-christian peers and/or co-workers and say what this young man did. I concluded that I don't believe I do, but then again, if the Spirit moved me..."I can do all things..."

I prayed that God would bless John William Crawford. The hand of God is obviously on this young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment