Saturday, May 10, 2003

Death

Author:  Susan L. Prince

A young woman came into my store yesterday. She was browsing over in the Christian music section and since I am an "expert" in that area I asked if I could help her find something. She said she was looking for a song called "Farther Along". I had no clue what that was, and if I don't know a song in the Christian section, it boggles me. I then asked "is it southern gospel?" and she said she thought it was. (That explained it, I'm a CCM expert, NOT southern gospel!) Christian music was kind of new to her so all she said "it sounds kind of old timey." 

I went to look up the song and found that it has been done and redone many, many times. I found a recent release by Russ Taff that contained the song and gave it to her to sample on our LVS. (Listening and Viewing Station) She started crying...barely able to maintain control and suddenly, very quickly took the headphones off and said "that's it, I can't listen anymore."

Obviously seeing my reaction to this somewhat unexpected behavior she explained "my sister and my mother were killed in the tornado. This is the song they played over my mother's body."
I had nothing to say. My heart hurt for her. I didn't know what to do. I did nothing, but whisper a prayer for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment