Sunday, May 11, 2003

The Holy Spirit?

Author: Katie

I just told Sue she has to let me blog right now! I asked her if she was doing anything important and she replied, "Nothing more important than you" and got up from the puter. My friend is so awesome.

My daughter asked me to lie down with her until she fell asleep tonight. We've had some issues to deal with today and we needed some mom and daughter time. As I laid there I thought about my salvation experience. I also thought about a movie I saw today called "The Other Side of Heaven." It was a true story about a missionary who went and spent three years on an island with its non-Christian natives. He went there to bring the gospel message to them. What got me to pondering is when I started thinking about each person who accepted Jesus and converted to Christianity. Each person changed immediately upon salvation.

This got me to thinking about St. Augustine's testimony and how drastically his life changed. As I read his explanation of his transformation, I could identify it with what I experienced when I got saved. In fact, I think that every believer can identify…after all people have been writing music about it for years and it all pretty much tells a similar story of the transforming power of the Holy Spirit.

It also makes me think about church this morning. I asked my pastor why God chose Paul to be the one who brought the “Good News” to the Gentiles. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. I basically wanted to make note of the fact that God had all these apostles who he could have chosen but instead he chose a persecutor of Christians. Okay, so, what could have been His reasoning for this? I know our thoughts are not like His and I may be wayyy off when I say this but, could it be possible that God chose Paul simply because of the fact that He persecuted Christians? I mean, what better way to show the power of the Holy Spirit to the Gentiles?

Anyhow, back to the movie……

The changes that took place in the individuals sent a message to those who were questioning the gospel message. One by one, a Christian community began forming. Dysfunction and occult practices became function and worship of the One True God. A pagan community was transformed into a loving family of believers. More missionaries were birthed who brought the good news to other lands.

What is it that happens when a person sincerely asks Jesus into their life? What is it that causes a person to totally transform? Sometimes it happens gradually and others take a bit longer. But, eventually, for all believers, a total transformation takes place. And it’s the same story for everybody. To quote an old hymn, “I once was lost, but now I’m found, was blind but now I see.” That’s the testimony of every true Christian believer (to one extent or another).

And so it goes…….

All around the world people are giving their hearts to Christ. Lives are changing and communities of Christian families are forming.

We all have our different interpretations of this scripture or that. But those who are born again are one Spirit, one body, one church…..we are the body of Christ. We all have one purpose and we all “press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

Unfortunately, this isn’t always the message that the world gets of us. Since we are still human and we have a limited amount of knowledge, we make mistakes, and set a bad example of Christianity. But the heart of the church…….the sincere believers who desire to follow hard after Christ and work to set a good example…..this is what it’s all about.

So, what is it that actually happens when we pray that prayer? How is it that a people of all nations, languages, colors, and creeds do one simple thing, pray one simple prayer, and instantly become one with the rest of a body of believers? What is it that makes a person instantly decide to turn their backs on their old way of life and embrace something that is contrary to the way they have always been taught to live? What is it that gives us a love that can never be more fulfilling, satisfying, complete, and perfect? Could it actually be the Holy Spirit of the One True God that the Bible speaks of? Just a ponderable.

No comments:

Post a Comment