Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Things Remembered

Author: Katie

I can't believe how much damage can be done by moving air. The picture of the church that has been shown and talked about so much, is very misleading. The wall that is seen is all that is left. If you were to walk through the front door you would be walking right back outside. There's nothing behind the front wall. This building is one of the oldest buildings in Jackson. The plan is to rebuild...starting with the front wall. The pastor of the church was on the news last night and he said that as long as they have one wall, the church still exists. They will begin there and build around it. Of course those are my words since my brain doesn't retain much after about five minutes!

I first moved to west Tennessee in 1980. I have lived here steadily since 1990. I lived in McNairy county when a huge tornado swept through in 1991 (I think). Fortunately, I was out of town when it hit. Since then, McNairy county has recovered and grown beyond what is was prior. Over the years we have had several tornadoes but, it seems that from the late 90's up until now, there have been so many more than all the years before. The damage has been the worst. It really hit me for the first time just this morning. I have never been a frequent visitor of downtown Jackson, but I have been there several times over the years. Sue and I eat breakfast at Steinley's sometimes (across the street from the courthouse). It's funny how people take things for granted. I never really took notice of Jackson's historical landmarks. Last fall I was downtown alot since my daughter was in the Christmas play at the civic center (which was also badly damaged). I didn't stop to realize what a beautiful area it was. I never really observed it much. Tiffany did. She said she feels like she is in New York City when we go there. Cracks me up. That's what happens when you raise a kid in the sticks! Maybe someday I'll get to show her New York City. Okay let me bring myself back from the tangent I am taking off on (I do that alot). *Katie does the reeling in the fishing pole immitation* Today, my heart broke as I watched the news and remembered what our town looked like just a few days ago. There is no way it will ever be the same. On the bright side, downtown Jackson will get a new face. New beginnings are always nice. It's going to be a long hard recovery but we will have an even better, new, improved downtown area when it is all said and done and who knows, maybe even a community even closer at heart.

It's funny how in the midst of a tense situation, a person can always find a reason to laugh. Yesterday, I broke my glasses so I had to go to the vision center at Wal-Mart to get them repaired. As soon as I got there........tornado warning!!!!!!!! I ran through the wind and rain with my daughter and her friend. I held my umbrella in my hand folded up (since I knew it would be useless to use it). As soon as I entered the building (through the eyecare center, since the main entrance was barricaded) they sent us to the center of the building near the fitting rooms. When things were at their worst, I managed to squeeze the girls and myself in this one small fitting room with a woman named Debbie and her son, Nick. (We thought that since we were in such small quarters, we might as well be on a first name basis.) While we sat there listening to the storm and the heavy rain pounding on the metal roof, somebody banged into the wall from the other side....really hard! All five of us nearly jumped right out of our skin! So, in the midst of the chaos, we all started laughing pretty hard. I don't know if anybody else had the same idea we did (to hide in the fitting room), but we didn't feel we would be very safe in the open if a tornado came through and things started flying everywhere. I can honestly say that I never thought I'd spend time in Wal-Mart like that! I also never imagined spending time in the fitting room with a total stranger.....especially when she had her adolescent son with her!

Thinking back to the other night....

It was the creepiest thing to watch the news. The tornado was hitting right at the news station. They were broadcasting from the hallway. We could hear everything going on but we couldn't see the broadcasting team. Sue and I watched and listened as the hail (some tennis ball size) pounded the "sound proof" building and if you listened carefully you could hear the howling winds at some points. We sat here wondering what kind of damage was being done at that moment as we watched and listened. It was so eerie. There was no way to know how bad it was until the next morning (yesterday).

I haven't been out to see downtown personally yet. I only have the same pictures as the rest of the world. I think about the 200+ people taking shelter at the Omen Arena. I sit here safe in my home thinking about how they have lost everything........and most are thankful just to be alive. I have this desire to do something, anything just to participate in comforting, helping or anything that will show comfort and support to those who have suffered from this horrible tragedy.

It seems so weird to see downtown on Good Morning America. My relatives in different parts of the country are watching Jackson TN on the news. They have called to check on us frequently. I am so blessed....So blessed.

Anyhow, as you sit here reading this, I ask that you stop and pray for those who have suffered loss during these tragic storms. I also ask that you pray about the severe weather that is still forcasted to come. As for this moment.....no sirens, no warnings....That in itself is such a huge and welcome relief! What a frightening past few days we have had. I can honestly say that I have never been a part of anything like it before. I can't help but wonder why these things hit all around my neighborhood and never actually hit us. Only God knows. I'm just glad it's over (for now anyways).

No comments:

Post a Comment