Sunday, August 31, 2003

Woman in Focus

I was "interviewed" for our church's Ministry to Women Newsletter:



1. Where did you grow up? Hinckley, OH, the home of the buzzards! Great claim to fame I know... it comes complete with a pancake breakfast every March 15! Hinckley is approximately 30 miles south of Cleveland.



2. What was your life like growing up? Great! I grew up always knowing how much I was loved. My parents are very devoted to their children, so my two sisters and I saw our parents at every softball game, band concert and every tragedy and triumph as we grew. They raised us in the Catholic church and we were very involved with the Catholic Youth Organization.



3. How long have you lived in West Tennessee? I've lived here since January of 2000.



4. How long have you been a member of Northbrook? I committed to membership at Northbrook in March of 2001.



5. What small group do you attend and what ways are you actively involved in Northbrook? I love SaLT! When I first started at NB, SaLT with WaLT (Weber) was my first SaLT experience and I LOVE that group! I love SaLT so much that I joined another group and I actively participate in both as time permits. (Summer SaLT Shake was awesome too! I hate deciding which group to participate in!) Currently I go to a group led by Tommye Clifton and Robin Reid in Jackson. That is a fun group for me as well, and I can absorb so much knowledge just about anywhere among NB people. I currently help Ann Maxwell with the M2W Newsletter and before the technical difficulties, I helped to keep the NB website updated. I also help with FIT and greet some Sunday mornings.



6. What do you do during the day? I am the manager at FYE where I sell music and movies. On my days off I surf the Internet and run errands. I usually try to make time to blog as well. Blog? A blog is an online journal...check it out!



7. Have you read any good books lately? Why did you like it? I'm always reading books. I have 3 or 4 going at the same time. Right now my friend Katie and I are attempting once again this year to read the bible through cover to cover in chronological order. I am also reading David Gushee's "Kingdom Ethics". I like it because it is helping to affirm and form my "spiritual stance" on ethical issues and giving more insight as to what following Christ actually means. I am reading through "So What̢۪s the Difference?" by Fritz Ridenour. It compares Christianity to many of the other religions out there. It is giving me insight into the beliefs of others so that I may be better equipped to defend my faith and also understand the inconsistencies of other faiths. I am really enjoying a book called "What's in the Bible" by R.C. Sproul & Robert Wolgemuth. It is a basic overview of the story of God. I find it helpful in understanding why the heck books like Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are even included in the Bible!



8. (if applicable) How long have you been married? What are some reflections and/or "words of wisdom" on marriage you can share with other women for our mutual increase in wisdom? Not married. Don't imagine I will be. I'm doing life God's way and His way, at least for now, is singlehood.



9. (if applicable) What ages are your children? What are some reflections on mothering you can share with other women? AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHKKKKK! I am the "NOT the mom"! My reflections on mothering are, "How the heck do you do it?", "Why the heck do you do it?" and "I hope I never have to do it!"



10. What are three activities you enjoy? Church, Blogging, Music; listening and playing trumpet.



11. What is one thing you want to do before you die? Live! And...d like to visit the Grand Canyon. I also contemplate owning my own Christian books, music and movie store that is run like a cafe with live performances, poetry readings and anything else I can think of, but I have a better chance seeing the Grand Canyon!



12. What is your best way (activity, place to go, etc.) of feeling the presence of God? Being in nature, of course, and I used to enjoy going to Pickwick for worship and bible study at the river. The river is not real accessible from Humboldt, so I find that time spent in the car listening to Christian music is one of my favorite ways to feel the presence of God. I also enjoy time home alone, on the computer, because one way I feel God is by listening to WAY FM online and reading the testimonies of other Christians and learning all about how God is working in the lives of others. I feel God most when I see Him at work all around me!



13. What is one of your favorite bible verses? What makes it a favorite? From Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God..." I like it because it is simple, straight forward and to the point. If I could always remember those few words, I probably wouldn't worry so much. It's the calm in the storm.



14. What is one thing that makes you joyful? Larry the Cucumber!

No comments:

Post a Comment