Saturday, April 10, 2004

Third Day Concert

We arrived early for the concert...tickets said "7:30pm", but the concert posters all said "7:00pm". I am anal about time so I make sure to arrive early enough for these events in order to park, walk and be seated in time for the start of the fun.

We met up with our party at 6:30 just in time for the doors to open and we then found our seat in the Oman Arena.



We had great seats, 3rd row back, just to the side of the stage. I was very excited about these seats because I woke up early on my day off to go get the best available. The map made them look awesome and I bought 8 tickets. Ohhhhhh, I couldn't wait! We walk in and head down to our row. I immediately become distraught when I see the obstacles in the way, blocking the view of the stage. Directly in front of our section was a giant case which read Georgia Case Company. It housed some of the performers guitars and totally blocked the view of the stage.



I was upset. I got up early because I wanted great seats and THIS is what I get? A view that is BLOCKED! I then noticed the speakers...all facing front. We were off to the side, so that wasn't good.



Warren Barfield came on stage, right on time. (Shows starting on time is a plus in my book!) Bless his heart, he sang great, I think, I don't know, it was hard to tell because I COULDN'T HEAR HIM! The only reason I knew what he was singing is that I know his songs and now and then could make out what he was singing. Since there was a giant Georgia Case Company case in the way, I really couldn't see him either! I was becoming quite angry at this point and told my party that I wanted their ticket stubs because I was going to demand a refund!



Barfield only sang about 4 or 5 songs. He started out with "Mistaken" and then ended with "My Heart Goes Out". He seemed to be well recieved by the audience which was still filing in to the auditorium.



Tobymac came out next. I was most looking forward to them because they rock! Sure enough, thier show was exactly what I expected. High energy! Woohoooo! Rappin' and rockin' and an all around good time. They even brought in some old school with Wild Cherry's "Play that Funky Music" and a little bit of KC and the Sunshine Band. Oh, it was so much fun! Dancers breakin' it down, flipping backwards off speakers, high fivin'....high, high energy! It was incredible to watch and to listen. I can't wait for the new album coming up soon called "Slam". Tobymac gave us a "hint" of the new stuff and it sounds just as great as the stuff from "Momentum". Wow! This week, I expected people who saw the show to come in and buy Third Day, but it was Tobymac that sold the most!



Third Day put on an outstanding show. They played some new stuff that sounds great and as only they can do, they brought the audience into worship. It was amazing to see people singing along, and out loud to the Lord and having so much fun. Third Day put some video material up on the big screen which was something interesting to view during the performance, but since I had to kink my neck at a 90 degree angle to view it, I didn't really watch too much of that. They played their big hits which included a lot of worship songs "The Creed", "God of Wonders", "Your Love Oh Lord", "Consuming Fire", "Come Together"...lots of 'em! The crowd so enjoyed the show that Third Day did come out to do one encore and during that they played "Agnus Dei" which is what I was waiting for. Awesome! I love that!



I was glad to see Jackson, TN support this concert because hopefully it will bring more like it back to town. FFH will be here next month, in Humboldt, where I live. Matter of fact I could walk to the church they are performing at. I sure hope that show is supported because, again, I'd love to have more top notch acts coming to town. We are right about in the middle bntween Memphis and Nashville, so there is no excuse not to have some acts stopping by Jackson!



After the show I was extremely tired. I was so sleepy, but we decided to head over to McDonald's to snack. Most of us were very hungry because of all the energy we exerted during the concert. Katie and I arrived at Mickey D's ahead of our friends and got in line. There was quite a long line and it was growing as concert goers started to arrive. The employees weren't looking to thrilled to see us all come in at 11:00pm! I told the assistant manager that she was doing an outstanding job with things, seeing as though they were obviously understaffed. (Being in retail I understand how meaningful some kind words can be during those stressful moments.) We all got our food and sat down together. We laughed as we told stories about embarrassing moments and had a good time. It was finally time to head home and get some sleep.



I dragged at work on Thursday. Oh, I was so tired. Getting up early to work the morning after a concert is not easy, especially now that I am so old! LOL I was able to sleep in a bit before work yesterday so I'm caught up with the sleep and ready to enjoy an evening home with the Framily. That is, if Katie every gets back from grocery shopping. Ugh...why does she take forever?!? LOL







No comments:

Post a Comment