Saturday, April 03, 2004

Framily Night

We had a framily night. These are special nights set aside for us to enjoy one another's company and just spend time together. It usually involves a meal and movies afterward.



Tonight we watched a movie I have been waiting to be released. It finally hit the shelves this week and I brought a copy of the DVD home today. The Final Countdown. I love that movie...and the music is really neat too! If you like Sci-Fi and some interesting drama, I recommend the Final Countdown. I enjoyed that immensely.



Then we watched Footloose. I loved Footloose as a teenager. I think I went to see it at Great Oaks in Wadsworth about 4 or 5 times. It was so fun! I was hoping to relive some of that, but I didn't.



Instead, I sat amazed at how worldly it was. I was wishing I did not bring this home for framily night. Oh my, how my attitudes have changed. It's amazing how Christ really does change a heart. The story is still fun, but the language, the fights. Wow. It was hard to see the storyline and the fun through the cussing, the smoking and the drinking that all the high schoolers were doing. It blows my mind that I used to watch that movie without any conviction at all. In fact, I though it was cool. I am seeing things from a whole new perspective now that I am a Christ-follower.



This happened with the Terminator too. I loved that movie. The action, the drama and Sci-Fi...I LOVED IT! But, the last time I watched it I was so convicted. The Lord's name is taken in vain so often throughout that movie. The language ruins it for me now. I need to get one of those players that edits that stuff out.



Oh, another one...Dirty Dancing. I went to the movies 8 times in college just to see this film over and over again. I really enjoyed the film. I remember telling other people to go see it when they were "turned off" by the title of the film and at one point I even said "I don't understand why it is even called 'Dirty' Dancing...I don't get that at all". I really didn't see the "dirty" in the moves! I HAD SCALES OVER MY EYES! Another movie from my youth GONE!



I'm starting to be afraid to watch another well-liked movie from my past for fear that my new convictions will keep me from enjoying it. Maybe just letting my recollection of the films should be enough.



It is amazing what God does to a heart and mind when you let him. I was really reminded tonight as to how much "cleaning" up of my life He has done.



Time for bed, I'm losing an hour of sleep tonight. I like Daylight Savings, but I don't like losing that hour!



No comments:

Post a Comment