Sunday, April 11, 2004

Orange Cones

I hate them. Those nasty orange cones. Those orange cones that signal traffic tie-ups and frustration, impatience and at times rage.



Today I saw orange cones and it caused a flip-flop in my heart.



The orange cones I saw today were lined up in the parking lot at church.



Today was the very first time we needed to have two services. God is moving at Northbrook and people are coming here to find Him. They are looking for healing, love, forgiveness, fellowship and there are a host of other reasons they are visiting Northbrook. We are bursting at the seams each Sunday, so for this special celebratory holiday, it was decided to divide into two services.



We were all curious to see how it would all work out and trusted God in this. The first service was more than half full and the second service we were about three-quarters full. Evidence that there would have been no way to fit us all in to one service. God provides.



The orange cones today helped to direct people in and out of the parking lot. They created order where chaos could have prevailed with people driving in and out of the lot.



When I first arrived at church today and started driving toward the building, I immediately noticed the bright, new orange cones lined up at the entrance to the parking lot. My heart flip-flopped because I was reminded about this wonderful place of worship and how much God is moving here. He is among His people and when God moves, people notice. To me, the orange cones were symbolic. They represented to me a growing church. They provide order in the world where there is little to none.



We had an "orange cone service" today!

No comments:

Post a Comment