Saturday, April 10, 2004

Stop Thief!

Work often gives me interesting things to blog about. Today was no exception.



One my associates called me over to tell me that a man put his hands on her and that it was very unwelcome. The guy was being rather suggestive and she basically told him to go away. I kept an eye on the guy and I sent that associate home, as her shift was about to end anyway.



I had other customers to deal with so I lost track of that man, but I did notice him hanging out in the back of the store and seemingly keeping an eye on us. This is suspicious behavior and can sometimes indicate that there is a shoplifting issue developing.



At one point I was making my way around the store and this man was obviously trying to break, or pry open, a security case that enclosed a CD. I saw him and he made eye contact with me. He immediately stopped what he was doing, and tried to conceal it by carrying around a T-shirt from the rack, and hiding the CD under it. At this point I was onto him, and he knew it.



Just as I continued watching him, another associate came over to tell me that a customer just told her that he saw the guy I was watching trying to steal cassettes. I said "yep, he's up to something and I'm keeping an eye on him."



By now, he was getting very nervous. He approached the cash register to pay for something. I decided to wait for him outside my store, so I walked through the entrance and into the mall area. I was hoping that when the guy left, the security alarm would be tripped and I could nab him. He kept pacing by the counter as my associate was ringing out other customers. I was standing in the mall calmly and just watching down the hallway. I figured if I happened to see security I might point this guy out as someone to watch out for.



The man saw me outside the store and yelled from the cash wrap "Hey! IS SOMETHING WRONG?!" I didn't realize at first he was talking to me. He yelled again "SOMETHIN' WRONG?!" I said calmly "no". He then came up to the door and said "Oh, I thought you were calling security or something" so I responded somewhat sarcastically, "Why would I be calling security?" He said "Because that's how y'all are, y'all are like that". The man then got back in line and paid for whatever it was he bought. His "wife" and a little kid met him at the door and they left. On his way out he told me to have a good day. huh



I was so close to busting that guy! GRRRR!



Later on I found out that he had gone into our backroom. Thankfully, one of my associates was back there working and startled the guy when he entered through the door. The man stumbled on his words and finally asked "do you have a public bathroom in here?" and when he was told no, he left.



I don't know if he managed to get something or not, but I do know that he didn't get everything he intended to. I only wish I could catch these people and prosecute! It is so irritating dealing with thieves! It was also irritating to have him say "Y'all are like that!", because he was saying "you white folk are always trying to get us black folk in trouble!". I wanted to say back to him "yep, I am like that...catching and prosecuting thieves! Oh...and in case you didn't know...it was a black customer that told us that you were stealing!" I get so sick of being labeled racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment