Friday, September 19, 2003

Friday Five

the friday five with yet another set of questions for those of us at a loss as to what the heck to blog!



1. Who is your favorite singer/musician? Why? I can't say that I have a favorite because it seems I have a few. When I think about who it is I most look forward to hearing something new from, it would be Jennifer Knapp and maybe the Indigo Girls. I really enjoy the music these artists put out and I also have more respect for artists that create their own music. They write their own stuff and usually it's written intelligently and thoughtfully. They are professional musicians and are very good at playing their instruments. I wouldn't necessarily call any of their voices angelic, but it is how they use their voice in their music that is impressive to me. It's not always about having the most beautiful voice, but sometimes it's how it's used.



2. What one singer/musician can you not stand? Why? There are many that I can't stand! Mostly I can't stand a musician because I don't like their music (most "pop" stuff like Backstreet Boys, NSync, Plus One, etc.) or I don't necessarily appreciate their public persona (Britney Spears, Marilyn Manson, etc). I really really really can't stand music in which the lead singer screeches and screams like a demon. I have even heard that kind of stuff in Christian music (12 Stones - I know, I know...mainstream) and don't like it there either. That's not music to me. It seems unnecessary. It's scary!



3. If your favorite singer wasn't in the music business, do you think you would still like him/her as a person? I have no idea because I really don't know what my favorite artists are like off stage. I've met Jennifer Knapp and she seems cool enough, I think we could hang out one afternoon and chat, but who really knows if our personalities would "click". I really get the impression that Rebecca St. James is a Godly young woman and seems to really have a heart for God, from the interviews I've seen her in. She is someone who really seems to be on stage the same person she is off stage. There really is no way to know.



4. Have you been to any concerts? If yes, who put on the best show? I've been to a few. I think that one concert that is very memorable for me was when I was dragged to a Bruce Springsteen concert. I really didn't like "the Boss" or his music, but my best friend was "in love" with him. I went to his show in Cleveland back in the 1980's for the Born in the Usa tour and was blown away! That man really puts on a show! Wow! I gained a new appreciation for him and his music that day and when he came back around for his next tour, I went voluntarily that time! He's a true rock n' roller and a great entertainer. Another performer I really enjoyed was Jim Brickman. Quite a change of pace huh!? LOL Jim Brickman is America's newest romantic piano sensation. I went to his show in Des Moines, IA in 1998 and really didn't know what to expect. I had some free tickets and thought "what the heck". That night was so much fun. Brickman was an awesome storyteller and a great musician. He had me laughing so much! I think I laughed more at his stories than I had at some comedians I had paid to see! His music is so melodic and romantic and fantastic! He has been very successful in his recording career that started out writing some of the letter jingles for Sesame Street, and commercial jingles like "GE we bring good things to life" and "Don't treat your puppy like a dog dog dog..." I really enjoyed that show and if ever the opportunity arises, I'd recommend you check him out. Oh, and before I went to his concert, I had no idea he was a native of Cleveland, OH! It was an interesting surprise to learn that some of his songs were written about places I knew!



5. What are your thoughts on downloading free music online vs. purchasing albums? Do you feel the RIAA is right in its pursuit to stop people from dowloading free music? I think it is wrong as I've posted about before. I am glad to know that record labels finally got a clue and are lowering the prices. I will enjoy marking prices down in my store because I really believe it is long overdue. I think many people will opt to spend a reasonable amount on purchasing CD's ($5-$10) rather than burn them. I do believe the RIAA is right to pursue those who flagrantly violate the copyright law. It will be interesting to see how this stuff can actually be enforced. I am most bothered by society in that many people really can not understand why stealing is not wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment