Thursday, May 04, 2006

What is it With Foul Language These Days?

Explicit LyricsGrowing up, the term "shut up" was a no-no in my household. We were taught it was rude, so I learned to say "be quiet" instead.

I never heard "swear" words or "curse words" in my childhood home, ever. I mean, if "shut up" was considered a "bad word", you can infer that the language in my home was kept pretty clean at all times.

My how times have changed. I surf and read a lot of blogs and see a lot of appalling language. Has society really sunk to such a level that so many people see nothing wrong with vulgarity?

Some people will say "excuse my French" or "excuse my language" when they curse in front of someone, as if that means it is okay to talk that way since there is an attempt to "apologize". Obviously, if one feels the need to ask for someone to "excuse" their foul mouth, then that person must realize that their choice of words was inappropriate. So, why use the words to begin with? Is your vocabulary so limited that you can't select another socially acceptable word?

Other people will defend their poor choice in words by saying "it's just a word, words don't mean anything." I say "yeah, and 'love' is just a word. If someone says 'I love you', that must not mean anything either."

Lyrics in today's music are pathetic. We can only play edited CDs in the store, and after the words are removed, it sounds as though the artist is hiccuping their way through the tune!Mouth Taped Shut

It is also disturbing to hear some of the language I hear coming from the mouths of Christians these days. I mean words like "suck" or "pissed" are just not pretty words and I really can't picture my Savior ever saying these things, so why should I? And if as Christians, we allow these terms to slip into our vocabulary, where do we draw the line?

James 3:10
"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."

Proverbs 16:23
"A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction."

Matthew 15:18
"But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'"

Psalm 19:14
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Matthew 12:34
"...For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."

Ephesians 6:19
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel..."

No comments:

Post a Comment