Friday, May 12, 2006

Da Vinci? or Duh Vinci?

The Da Vinci Code sounds like interesting fiction, like National Treasure, a thriller with adventure and mystery. I haven't read the book, but from what I have heard, it will probably do very well at the box office and I plan to see it.

Mona LisaThe Da Vinci Code may do very well raking in the bucks too, but I don't think it is going to bring an end to Christianity as we know it. It sure seems like the Church is all up in arms about the "heresy" of the book/movie, threatening boycotts and whatnot. Notice the inverted Mona Lisa picture? I'm trying to stir up controversy by messing with a work of art, it's not as though I drew a mustache on it or anything! That, and I'm getting sick of seeing that thing everywhere!

I tend to believe that the whole controversy sparks even more interest in the thing and more people will probably check it out now, then if the anti-Da Vinci people had laid low. Actually, having never read the books, I went to see the first Harry Potter film because of the controversy. (I notice now when a new HP film/book is released, things are relatively quiet. hmmmm? wonder why?) I wanted to know what all the fuss was about! So, I speak from experience when I say the Church is probably doing more promotion for The Da Vinci Code than filmmakers could have hoped to pay for.

To me it is a lot of unnecessary controversy. It's a fictional story, built on a false premise, and I find it hard to believe that the majority of intelligent people viewing it will confuse the story with reality. I mean Duh! Duh Vinci! Then again there are those who believe the holocaust didn't happen, man never landed on the moon and that whole thing was staged, and that it wasn't a jetliner that crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11.

What does Tom Hanks, star of The Da Vinci Code, say about all the hullabaloo?
"...the story we tell is loaded with all sorts of hooey and fun kind of scavenger-hunt-type nonsense."

"If you are going to take any sort of movie at face value, particularly a huge-budget motion picture like this, you'd be making a very big mistake." Source This is London
Christians who have a relationship with Jesus Christ, have that personal experience with Him as their own testimony. Nothing can ever change that. And that's no hooey!

Pass the popcorn please.

----

No comments:

Post a Comment