Monday, June 14, 2004

The Minority Mentality

I read a post over at nykola.com | bothering people since 1981 that I found very interesting.



In it Ambra says:



"...it strikes me how warped our perception of race and ethnicity is in this country. Here we call people of color "minorities" when in actuality the application of that term ceases to be true in the United States. From a larger perspective however, I often wonder how it is that others call me a "minority" when the majority of the rest of the world has melanin closer to my shade."





I have been reading her blog for awhile now and I am often impressed at the intelligence of this young woman. Her perceptions of life and life's events have caused me at times to take a step back and look at things through a new lens.



She goes on to explain what the "minority mentality" is:



"The "minority" mentality is one that has plagued many here in the US. It's the mentality that thinks they are alone in their situation; that they need handouts from the government."





Ambra goes on to explain in further detail what the "minority mentality" is, and why it is detrimental to our society. She talks about what is to blame for this mentality and that:



"Everyone has within them the capacity to break out, however our system has successfully warped the minds of so many people to think it is impossible. This is the real oppression against which we should be fighting."





I highly recommend you read the entire post, and then browse around her site for awhile. I think you'll like what you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment