Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Happy Package

YAY! I got some happy packages at work today!



I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv happy packages!



What's a "happy package" you ask?



It's a package that makes me happy when I open it!



What's so exciting about opening a package?



It not about opening the package, although there is somewhat of an excitement about that, but it what's in the package...CDs!



I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv CDs!



I really luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv FREE CDs!



I got bunches of them today! I sampled some on the way home and some sound really good, good enough to warrant a second listen and then some.



When I get a happy package like I did today, my favorite thing to do is sample them all. I'll let a few seconds of each song on the CD play and "get a feel" for the entire disc. I can usually tell if the CD is worth additional listens through my "sampling" process. Here's a short rundown of my first impressions of the CDs I found in my happy packages today, complete with a FIR (First Impression Rating) = 3 (forget it, I probably won't listen again), 2 (it may be worth another listen), 1 (definately will make it a priority to listen to again soon!)



Remember these are first impressions from very quick listens to short exceprts:



  • Rush "Feedback" - [FIR = 1] This CD is a great cover album. The guys reminisced about their early days as a "garage band" in the mid '60s and all the rock anthems they enjoyed playing back in the day. I only recognize a few of the tunes on the CD, but I really like the straight ahead rock feel. Great stuff from Rush! Rush has always been one of my favorite bands, so it's given that I'd listen to this CD a few times anyway!




  • Starfield "Starfield" - [FIR = 2] This band is from Canada and is your basic modern rock/alt-pop. Seems to have some good rock hooks intermixed with some songs that have very worshipful lyrics and music that would help a listener be drawn inward. It most likely will garner some attention from CCM radio.




  • Jadon Lavik "Moving on Faith" - [FIR = 1] Jadon Lavik has a sound that reminds me some of Stephen Curtis Chapman's more acoustic stuff. Simpler and quieter, very smooth but still grabs the listener with a melodic pop hook. Some layered harmonies to spice up this well produced CD. It deserves another listen.




  • Fusebox "Once Again" - [FIR = 2] Fusebox has its beginnings as Rebecca St. James backing band and released their first CD a couple of years ago. I have to say that I ws really disappointed in their first release so I wasn't too excited about this one, but I hear improvement. Heavier with the guitar and bass this time and they support some good rock hooks. Will give it another spin.




  • Matt Redman "Facedown" - [FIR = 2] I like worship music that inspires, and draws me into worship. This CD starts out with a wonderful praise song, but then goes into a lull. While many would enjoy this CD because it is rather slowly paced and filled with very worshipful lyrics, I find it failing to hold my attention. I'm disappointed because I am always looking for some new praise tunes that help me relate to my Lord. Maybe another listen will help.




  • Sarah Kelly - "Take Me Away" - [FIR = 1] This CD has been out since February, but I was only familiar with the first single "Take Me Away". Contagious melody that just cries out for the Lord to take her away. Her voice is powerful and "gutsy", reminds me at times of the subtlness of a Carole King, yet also captures a powerful Joplinesque edginess. This CD is a fine debut and I am looking forward to listening to this a lot. Wow, this one really sounds great!





I've got some more to share about, but maybe tomorrow. I'm ready to do some surfing and then I'll play some Battlefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment