Sunday, January 25, 2004

The Love of My Parents

My parents take "forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" seriously.



I recently asked my parents for a loan. I've had a recent unexpected and very expensive utility bill. Because the bill was triple the norm, I called in an expert to check my heating unit to find out what is going on. That added to the expense of the situation, but my hope is to solve whatever the problem is so my utility bill will be under control.



I hate asking for help. It's a pride thing. I struggle anytime I need help, because I would rather "do it myself". If I do ask for help, my intent is to pay it back, whether in time, talent or money. In this case, my parents immediately sent me some financial assistance. I am so blessed to know that I have them to fall back on.



Yesterday I received more "help" from my parents. I did not expect this. It was a surprise to me. Mom even created a note on the computer that has music and trumpets on it. It's very personalized. She said:



"Hey Sue,



I hope you are having a good day. Hope this will help make things a little easier.



You are a very special person, very giving and caring of others. We are very proud of the person you have become and want to try to make you day a little brighter, and your house a little warmer. LOL"





In the note they also forgave my financial debt to them.



I said to Katie..."I plan to pay them back". She said "if you pay them back, then I have to pay you back!"



I have helped Katie and her kids financially, but the thought of her paying me back has not ever entered my mind. That was her point. She went on to say that "your parents want to do this for you! They are your parents...they didn't stop being your parents when you turned 18 and moved out of their house. They will always be your parents and parents help their children when they need help!"



I don't love my parents because they have helped my financially. I love my parents because they are my parents. They have loved me since the moment they saw me and I have NEVER had reason to doubt that. They don't just love me either, they love the whole family and even those friends I have introduced to them. I remember my college roommate wanting to call my mom when school got rough. My mom has a way to soothe a situation and make it not seem so bad. I remember my friend T wanting to chat with my dad about things because she never had "a dad" and needed advice about some different stuff. Dad is knowledgeable about a lot of different things and has much wisdom to share. That's why I call him when I have questions about things around the house!



Currently my parents are doing their best to care for my Gram who broke her arm on Christmas Eve. It is a very slow healing process, but my parents do what they can for her. My other Grandma is in an assisted living apartment type thing and my parents make it a point to visit her every day. They don't always make it out there because sometimes visitors are discouraged from coming, for example during the recent flu epidemic, and/or they need to stay home with Gram. I am so thankful to know that my parents are handling things the best they know how and everyday they are an example to me of what love is. It's sacrifice.



I told my mom once that "when I grow up, I want to be like you." I am sure that was surprising for her to hear, because I think most of the time teenagers are screaming at their parents "I NEVER WANT TO BE LIKE YOU!" It is true though...when I grow up, I want to be like my parents. I want my love for others to be obvious, like the love of my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment