Monday, January 05, 2004

The Christian Cliche'

When I am down and out and God feels far away, I do in fact remember that I can't depend on "feelings". I may feel like God is far away, but I know that He is not. He is here with me.



When I am depressed because of the circumstances of my life, whether in regard to finances, life changes, or hormones, I know that God will sustain me.



What I know and what I feel are different things, and I know that I can not rely on my feelings.



I also have heard all the words of encouragement I can possibly hear from other believers, all those Christian "cliches".



When you feel down, does it help you to have someone tell you "always remember that God loves you", or "rejoice in your salvation", or "you can do all things through Christ who strenghtens you"?



We've heard them. We've offered them when we have had no other words to speak.



I listened to a friend at SaLT Group last night share about her depression and her longing to go back to her home town in another state. She has been miserable for a long time and shared with us all last night that she hasn't felt joy from God in a long time. She has been wandering in the desert and sees no light at the end of the tunnel. This has been going on for a very long time, many years in fact.



I know that distance from God, although not to the extent that this woman is suffering, but I can relate to not wanting to hear people say "I'll pray for you" or "God didn't move, you did". Blah blah blah. When Katie and I discuss things about my spiritual walk, I will often toss out something like "Oh, don't give me that typical Christian response! Those Christian cliches!" and she will undoubtably respond:



"They aren't Christian cliches, they are Truth!"



How can you argue with that?



I think I am going to send a card to my sister who is suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment