Sunday, January 25, 2004

Is Christ God?

Jason, the teacher of my "intro" to Christology class at NBU, brought up something very interesting at class last Wednesday. He was sharing a story about his time at college. He explained that he had a Southern Baptist roommate and another roommate who was a Muslim. Jason said that he and his roommates often had those wonderful talks into the wee hours of the morning where the young explore the mysteries of the universe, life and ideologies. I'm sure those discussions were quite interesting between a couple of Southern Baptist boys and a Muslim who was in the US from another part of the world.



Jason told us of a question he was asked one night and said that it really stumped him at the time, because he was not as well versed in the Word as he is now. I was curious to know what this question was, and if I'd be able to answer. During one of those late night conversations in college, Jason was surprised to learn that his Muslim friend believed in Jesus Christ. This puzzled those two Baptist boys and they were even more surprised to learn that their Muslim friend even believed in the virgin birth. Jason wondered "What kind of Muslim are you? A Southern Baptist Muslim?" LOL



Then he shared the question his Muslim roommate asked, "Where in the bible did Jesus call himself God?"



I tossed the question around in my head and assumed everyone else in the class was doing the same. No one spoke up, so I'm figuring that we were all stumped by it to some degree. I thought to myself hmmmmmmmmmm, I remember that story about Jesus forgiving sins and people being quite upset about it, but He didn't call himself God. I also thought, well...I KNOW Jesus is God, so I guess he must have said it, but I honestly can't, even after reading the bible through in its entirety two times, pinpoint Jesus saying "I am God". Then my mind started going off on all these rabbit trails wondering about Jesus saying he was God. The whole point of this class is to determine who I say that Jesus is, and if I can't even tell you what Jesus said about himself, who am I to say who Jesus was?



Jason even shared that when he has gone to different "interviews" for positions as a pastor at different churches, that he has never once been asked who he says Jesus is. I think Christians assume that if someone calls himself a Christian, that that person must believe that Jesus is God. It does seem rather important that a church call someone to its leadership role that knows Who Jesus is!



Jason pointed out that saying you believe in Jesus, does not mean you understand Him to be God. Think about the Mormons...do they not call themselves the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? "Jesus Christ" is in their "title", but who do they say Christ is? (topic for another post someday!)



So, where in the bible does Jesus call Himself God? Jason had us read a passage in John 10. Jesus says in verse 30 that "I and the Father are one." I say big deal, I've said something to the same effect about God and me. I've said "God and I are like this!" or "I'm one with God!" when I am referring to a spiritual high that I am experiencing. Jesus could have been saying something similar, but was He? NO! The Jews of the day knew what He was saying. They knew that he was saying He was God because in verse 33, they picked up stones to stone Jesus with. Jesus asked them why they were going to stone him and they said "for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."



Christ is God. Jesus is one with the Father. I can't explain it. My mind can't comprehend it. His Word tells it. I believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment