Sunday, June 25, 2006

Home - Sunday

I woke up early today so I could meet up with Deb at 8 in Amherst, about an hours drive from Medina. I always make it a point to get out to see Deb when I am home. She is an ex-colleague of mine from my teaching days, and is one of my spiritual mentors. We have so much great conversation when we get together and it is time I really enjoy.

I arrived a tad early, but Deb was ready and waiting. She came out to greet me as soon as I arrived and said she was going back inside the house for something. When she came back out, I got out of my jeep and said "you want to drive?". She seemed excited to drive the jeep and hopped in. I figured since she knows where she is going in her hometown it would just be easier.

We headed to Bob Evans because I love the dinner rolls there. Unfortunately, they are dinner rolls and not available at breakfast time. Drat! Anyway, we prayed over our meals and ate. We spent time talking and then when breakfast was over she asked "You wanna go see the lake?" and I always like to go up to see Lake Erie. It was a beautiful day, bright blue sky with not a single cloud to be seen, and the perfect temp on a cool morning, but not cold enough that I needed a jacket. We found a place at one of the local beaches and sat on a bench overlooking the area. There was a volleyball tournament going on, so there was a lot of activity for an early Sunday morning. Deb and I chatted for about 2 hours there and then decided to go to the pier. Well, we drove over there but couldn't find the way in so Deb kept driving and we eventually ended up in downtown Cleveland. I snapped some pics as we drove by the Cleveland Brown's Stadium, Jacob's Field, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Burke Lakefront Airport which had the Grand Prix running today so it was a flurry of activity.

We drove around downtown a bit and I marvelled at how nice the city looked. Snapped a shot of Terminal Tower and headed past "The Q", what used to be Gund Arena. (I always thought the Gund Arena sounded like a venereal disease, so that's a good name change!) That was a nice drive on a Sunday afternoon and then we headed back to Amherst. There, we checked out Hotdog Heaven where their specialty is pizza. No! I lied! It's hotdogs! After we ate lunch, we went across the street for some soft serve ice cream that was a real treat!

It was so great to spend the day with Deb. I feel so blessed to talk with her and it seems each time I do, we get to pondering and discussing so many issues. I just love it. Deb can challenge me with great questions and I always come away having learned something new. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment