Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Great Flood

I don't think I've ever seen it rain like this in one day before. We've had almost four inches today! It looks like we live in a resort with all the flood waters....lakes all over the place! Today, I drove by this one road and there was literally a river flowing over it with a huge waterfall. This is what remained after the waters receded. One lane of this road was washed away. The cave underneath was very deep and very wide. If only this picture could show depth! Makes me wish I had flood insurance! Many roads have been closed in Gibson and Madison county and there are still several flash flood warnings in effect. On the flip side of the storm, we had the most breathtaking sunset tonight. I wish I had been able to get pictures of that as well.

To help get the effect, look at the leg of the person standing beside the hole.

* * UPDATE 10:00 PM * *

Katie is on her way to help a man from church whose garage is being overtaken by rising water. He lives near a small creek, that is more like a river tonight, and he needs help moving tools and other belongings to higher ground. That rain has stopped, but the water is still rising as the rivers and creeks continue to rise due to water runoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment