Thursday, August 05, 2004

Johnny Cash Band

I played Ring of Fire tonight with the Johnny Cash Band. I met some famous people...and one is W.S. Holland who played drums with Johnny Cash for 37 years! It was really neat to have a rehearsal session with the guys to work out the "kinks" in Ring of Fire. I really appreciated Dave Roe, the bassist, because he was very helpful to leading us through the parts. At one point he asked if we were getting paid for this gig...I said "No, but we get to hobnob with the greats! That's payment enough!" He asked "Who are the greats?" and then I said "YOU!", he laughed.



I was impressed by the guitar player, Bob Wootten, who chatted with Tom and me. He talked quite a bit and at one point he explained that he doesn't do encores. He learned from Johnny..."play, and when you are done, you're done. I think it's an ego thing with some people."



After our small rehearsal, Holland told us that in a few places they will get local trumpet players to do Ring of Fire and it does not always go as well as it did with us. He went on to tell a story about a disasterous time with the trumpets that they had to work with at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH. I said "that's because I moved! (Cleveland is what I call home. It was the nearest big city to my home in Hinckley)



It was an interesting evening. Wink Martindale is Master of Ceremonies for the Rockabilly Festival this weekend. I got to see Brenda Lee inducted into the Hall tonight, and hear a performance by Sonny Burgess and The Pacers. Tomorrow night The Comets are set to play, but I have a date...a date to go to see My Fair Lady and watch my best friend perform in it!



But, I get to do Ring of Fire again on Saturday night. I have to say, it's been fun and a little nervewracking because I am not good with "wingin' it", playing without music, following chord changes, and playing along with a band of professional touring musicians that have been playing this song for many many years. It's been a neat experience though, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity. I am playing Ring of Fire with the guys who played with Johnny Cash...a legend! Wow! That is neat! I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment