Thursday, August 19, 2004

Blog Punctuation and Grammar

Anyone who types in all lowercase needs to be taken out back and beaten. You are not e.e. cummings; you are not being "artistic." You're just too lazy to hit the shift key. If you can't be bothered with the extra keystroke, I can't be bothered to read your site.





That was a quote from Jennifer Garrett, from an article that was published at the Blogger Knowledge page. Her post there is called Eats, Blogs & Leaves.



I think she has some interesting things to say and I for one do get annoyed with people who do not capitalize when emailing or blogging. I don't know why it bothers me, well, yes I do BECAUSE THAT IS NOT HOW WE ARE TAUGHT TO WRITE/TYPE!



This type of post always invites criticism and I'm sure Garrett had many decided to go word by word and criticize all she wrote in that post, but I think she has a point. I know that not everything I post is grammatically correct...heck, you should have seen what I went through simply trying to put the apostrophe in the correct place in Sisters' Weblog! I misspell words. I can at times use comma splices, and run on sentences, and fragments. I'm not talking about the occassional "poetic license" or typo. I'm talking about outright defiance! LOL



Why is it that some people choose to avoid using the shift key to capitalize words? Garrett points out that many people excuse this laziness by saying "it's just a blog". There is some truth to that, but what are you trying to do with that blog? It's hard for me to assume that intelligent thought went into a post if it is typed without capital letters where they are meant to be. The rules of punctuation are many. I don't claim to know them all. I do claim to know a few of the basics which would include capitalization, periods, quotation marks, etc.



The basics of punctuation really do help a blogger convey his/her thoughts more clearly. So, why do so many choose not to be clear?

No comments:

Post a Comment