Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I Don't Get It

I got a call from a customer today. She asked if we had a CD by the Ohio Mass Choir.



I said "no, I'm sorry, we do not carry CDs by the Ohio Mass Choir" and she replied "so, I take it that you don't carry any music by black artists in your store?"



I was somewhat upset by such an ignorant statement that I said "As a matter of fact, most of the music we carry in this store is by black artists!" I then looked to see what was available by the Ohio Mass and the only listing was for the North East Ohio Mass Choir which had a CD that was no longer available. I shared this with the woman and this led to the end of our conversation.



Why would this woman assume that we don't carry music by black musicians just because I said we didn't carry the Ohio Mass? I think it is this kind of stuff that continues to keep people ignorant and bigoted. It is almost as if she was imposing racism on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment