Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Goodbye Grandma

She whispered "We all love you very much. It's okay to go, go be with Grandpa" gently into Grandma's ear.



We can't know if Grandma heard the soft-spoken words of my mom, but she did let go of this life yesterday. She pined for Grandpa since his death five years ago and she no longer needs to. She is comforted now by her savior.



My parents have been with Grandma during the dying process of these past couple of weeks. In some ways the entire family anticipated the moment and were anxious for it to arrive because we all knew how much Grandma wanted out of this life and into her new one.



The most amazing thing about it all to me is my parents devotion. This was my dad's mother and my mom was so loved by her mother-in-law. As a child, a teen and an adult I have always listened to my Grandma brag about how special my mom is. She would say things like "Oh, Sue, your mom is so special." My Grandma was right. My mom is so special.



Dare I say my mom has had the privilege of being with my aunt as she died and also with my Grandma as she passed. Mom said in both cases "it was so peaceful". I am wondering if some of that peace comes from the simple fact that my mom was there to whisper words of comfort and words of hope.



My parents are always taking care of things. They have handled my Grandma with gentleness and respect these last years of her life. I love them for loving her so much. It is not easy to go visit someone every single day who does not even respond to your presence, but they did. Everyday they were able, which was just about everyday. Then mom would send out "progress reports" via email to keep the family informed of her condition day by day, and sometimes every few hours. To me, this was true love because it was action. Love is action, as some say "love is a verb".



During all of this with my paternal Grandmother dying, they are also caring for my maternal Grandmother who broke her arm on Christmas Eve. It is a very slow healing process for her and I am again thankful that my parents are there to handle that situation. This is not even to mention the recent times I have called on them for help as well.



As I know I can run to my parents, and trust them to give any help they can, I now run to my Father. My heart is saddened at the loss of my Grandma. I ask Him to comfort me and my family through this major life adjustment and to give everyone strength to endure this difficult time.



I am so far away from the family and with snow storms on the way in Ohio Dad is suggesting that I not try to make it home for the funeral. I missed my Grandpa's funeral for a similar reason. I feel so far away. I think that is the hardest part, the funeral isn't for Grandma, it's for family and friends and I probably won't be there. I told Ma "our family really needs to start picking times of death during the summer!" LOL This is an example of my bizarre sense of humor!



My Aunt in Albuquerque will not be making it home and she suggested a sort of reunion to plan for the summer. I think that is a grand idea and we may go with that.



Bye Grandma! I'll see you later!



*note: I blawled all the way through this

No comments:

Post a Comment