Sunday, July 11, 2004

Rants of a Retailer

Ok, I've had it!



I'm sick and tired of the same hassle, the same ignorance every single day!



----



Customer: "I wanna return this CD because it is "nasty and dirty" and I don't want my kid listening to it."



Me: "I'm sorry, I am all out of the edited version of the CD. Would you like to exchange it for something else?"



Customer: "NO! I f***ing don't want nothin' else! I don't want my d**n kid hearing no f***ing bad language!"



---



Me: "I'm sorry, I can't refund open product. I can exchange the item for the same thing"



Customer: "oh, I know, it's because I'm black!"



---



Me: "Why do people use this store as a trash can?"...(not to mention the time a teenage boy used it as a bathroom!)



---



Me: "I'm sorry, your qualifications do not meet our needs at this time." (This is a response to applicants after having unsuccessfully completed a phone interview/assessment that is a pre-screening for employment.)



Applicant: "I know I have the qualifications! What's wrong with my qualifications? I know, it's a colored thing."



(Yes, I'm sure, the phone tones accurately determined your race.)



---



A young teenage girl drops her drink onto the sales floor and walks away. She is with a friend, and they are apparantly shopping together with a parent. My associate is cleaning up the spill and the same girl approaches with "excuuuse me...(I HATE that tone when some people say it, it's rude and prissy)...I'm trying to find such and such CD."



Associate: "I will help you in just a moment" as she is obviously cleaning up the mess the girl left.



Girl: "Well, if you can't help me, I'll go elsewhere!" and turned to meet up with mom, and left the store.



---



I watched an 50-something, black man break open a CD case and attempt to steal it. I saw this happen. He saw me see it happen. I watched him closely for the remainder of his stay in my store.



He approached the counter to pay and I stood at the entrance to the store. I was standing there in hopes that if he had stolen something else, he would trigger the alarm and I'd be right there to apprehend him.



As I stood in the entrance way, I looked for mall security. The man was visibly nervous and yelled from his place in line "hey, HEY! What are you doing?" I told him I was standing there watching people in the mall.



Then the man approached me and said "what are you doing?" I told him nothing that concerns him. He then said "Oh, I thought you were calling for security or something."



(Wonder why he would assume that?)



I asked why I would need security? and he said "I dunno, I know how you folk are. I know how you are."



In truth, I do make it a habit to call security for THIEVES!



---



Why do so many people lack common courtesy to clean up a mess they made? Why are so many people ignorant to the fact that it is illegal to steal, and when you catch them, it's not MY fault, but THEIRS! Why do people not see that the language on a CD isn't going to effect a child as much as the language in the home? Why am I accused of being racist every single day simply because I can't refund open product? or because I can't sell a ticket to a sold-out show? or because I watch people I happen to catch stealing? (Truth be told, I've had more white young men arrested in my store over the years, than black.)



GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! It is sooooooo frustrating dealing with such an ignorant public!



But, then, there are those neat customers that just brighten my day when they come into my store.



---



"Thank you so much for finding that CD for me. It reminds my of my husband. He just loved that song. He passed away recently. I miss him."



---



"Santa is going to be good to you this year because of all the work you have put into my special orders."



---



"Thank you, thank you, thank you for fixing this CD! OHHHHHHH! I just thought it was ruined forever! It's my favorite CD and I was heart-broken when you said it was out of print! Thank you!"



---



"Are you married?" LOL



---



Retail is tough. It is often so rewarding, but then there are those moments I just have to rant! There! I feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment