Thursday, July 01, 2004

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

From Psalm 139:



13 For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,

I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you

when I was made in the secret place.

When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be.





I have a friend who asked me one day "what does it mean to be fearfully made?"



The question caught me off guard a bit. I thought for a moment and answered that in the Bible, when the term "fear" is used, as in "fear God", it does not mean be afraid of God, but it means to revere God. I surmised that being fearfully made means that God reveres us, His creation.



Now I have been pondering if that is a good interpretation? I'd be happy to hear from anyone who may have another idea about what it means to be "fearfully made"?

No comments:

Post a Comment