Thursday, October 02, 2003

Welcomed to the Family

Last night was an awesome night of worship at our church. Wow. I love that place!



Three men were baptized, two very young men. It was so great to listen to their faith stories. At Northbrook, baptisms are done a bit differently than I've seen done in other places. Each person shares their faith story. It is often a very moving story about how God worked in their lives and drew them to Himself. Last night's stories were no different. When one person has finished sharing, the Body is asked to share words of encouragement to the new believer. Many stand to simply say "I love you and I'm so proud of you" while others stand to share Scripture. It is a time when the Spirit is alive and moving in the Body and joy is felt by all. It is a time of celebration and words just don't do the experience justice. I hate that. It's an unbloggable event!



One man's testimony was especially moving. He spoke about his abusive childhood in a "Christian" home. "Dad demanded we attend church and when we'd come home he'd drink and starting beating on us" was what Bill shared. He therefore blamed God for everything and turned to alcohol and drugs himself. When he met his wife, he stopped the drugs...for awhile and then stumbled back into them. They separated and he entered rehab "only to win her back" but one morning he went outside "to smoke". He saw the sunrise "and that's when God saved me". Just like that. I thought that was cool! Then it was time for his church family to share words of encouragement. What I noticed about what people shared was that while many shared scripture about how God is always there for you, people offered to be a support system for him when times get tough. No one sugar-coated the Christian life for this man and simply offered their prayers, their support for times when life may not be so good. He is newly out of rehab and there may be times he backslides or is tempted greatly, we wanted him to know that his church family loves him and will help to carry his burdens. His family needs much support to as they all adjust to life with this "new man".



Bill's son also was baptized last night. That was neat! John David is a young teenager (I think) but is always smiling and so many of the youth kids shared about how they loved him so much. They loved the laughter he has brought to their lives and encouraged him to keep his joy. They encouraged him to stay in the Word. He soaked it all up. His face probably hurts today from all the smiling! He was so cute when he shared his testimony because he shared about the time he was talking to Chuck, one of our pastors, about his family all being save, all except for him. John David then said "so we fixed that!" LOL To see a father and son baptized was a true blessing. Their family is forever changed.



Katie and I, mostly Katie, talked to the couple afterward. I had watched the mother, the wife, through much of the testimony and sharing of the words. She was about to burst I think, but remained calm and tears were constantly welling up in her eyes. She is filled with joy and it was so awesome to watch as God blessed her last night. Her name escapes me right now, but when I came over she said to me "YOU were the one who first welcomed us into Northbrook." I am a FIT member (First Impressions Team) and at times I greet. I make it a priority to hunt out the new faces and introduce myself. I also try to give them some info about the church, things like where to take the kids, etc. I sometimes grab the nearest SaLT leader and introduce them to help get them "plugged in". Most of all, I like to make people feel welcomed, wanted and loved when they come through the doors. She affirmed in me that being a "greeter" is a VERY important function in a church and not a job to be tossed off as something small!



The other young man that was baptized was saved at a Student Life camp this past summer. His family are long time members of Northbrook...(longtime at NB is a few years)...so it was neat to watch a kid who has grown up with the church to come to know the Lord and profess his faith through baptism.



After the baptisms, the family broke bread. We shared communion and before we "ate of the Body" we were reminded to examine our lives. I thought about my life looks to God. Looking at my life through God's eyes isn't always a pleasant experience. I saw many things that aren't cool. I prayed for forgiveness and a fresh new start. I ate of the Body. I thanked God for His forgiveness and mercy. I thank God that He gives me a fresh new start each day. I drank of the Blood. I thanked God for the church He has me in. I asked Him to use me for His glory.



It was a very worshipful experience last night at FWF, First Wednesday Fellowship. The first Wednesday each month we gather to eat together and worship. Some nights worship is praying together. Some nights worship is baptism. Some nights worship is communion. Some nights worship is gathering together in His name. All nights are worship and I pray that the heart of Northbrook keeps seeking His face.

No comments:

Post a Comment