Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Veggies and Shrubs

I had a grand day with my parents!



First Katie and I went to breakfast at Cathey's Restaurant in Trenton, TN. It is one of my favorite places to eat breakfast because they have plain and simple home cooked food. I most enjoy the shredded hash browns, so much so that I order a double order of them! YUM! I like them because they are from real potatoes and not seasoned with anything at all. Just fried in butter and that's it. They are so good. I like things plain. I am a very picky eater (it's a curse) and I really like bland stuff, some day I will have to blog about my eating "disorder".



I was happy to introduce Faye, the "best waitress in the world" to my parents. Faye is always very attentive to us and has gone out of her way to serve an outstanding meal to us each time we come for breakfast. Katie and I haven't been out there for about two weeks because we've been watching the budget a bit closer, but when we went today we asked Faye where she was this past Monday when we ate there? She said "I had a stroke." We were caught off guard with that one for sure. She said her right arm is still not working right, but she has gained most of her feeling back on the right side of her face. Katie wondered why she had a stroke and Faye said "a migraine brought it on." That was not welcome news to Katie a migraine sufferer herself. Faye said hers was also brought on because of high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. So, Faye's life has changed. I asked her if she needed anything, if all her needs were taken care of. She said like what? Katie asked if she needed help with meals? cleaning house? I added "scrubbing toilets?". Faye just laughed and went on serving customers even in her limited mobility. Try being a one armed waitress! This is why Faye is the "best waitress in the world"!



After breakfast I took my parents over to my store to meet some of the people I talk about. That is always fun and after that short trip we headed over to Walmart where mom bought me a new weed whacker. Mine broke at the beginning of the summer so the weeds definitely needed some attention, especially around the mailbox.



Also, Mom and Dad got me some new shrubs to replace the ones that died from the Harry Potter spells I cast on them. The Harry Potters spells you say? Well, here's the thing. The neighbor guy has a bush at the edge of our property line. It is a huge ugly overgrown things with a giant weed growing all throughout it. It hasn't been pruned in years and the tentacles reach out from all angles and obstruct my view of the road as I try to pull out of my driveway. It is an eyesore and it needs to go. One day, we formed a plan...it came shortly after watching an HP movie...cast a "treeiss removis" spell on it. So I did! Everytime I backed out of the drive, I said "treeiss removis" and pointed toward the bush. That wasn't working. Someone from a blog I commented on once suggested that the spell might not be working because I wasn't using a wand, or the precise "flick" or "twist". LOL All this proved to me is that the "sorcery" in HP was not real at all and that was really disappointing because I really wanted that bush gone!



A few weeks later I noticed that the leaves were starting to turn a yellowish color. I watched them for a few days and then they went brown. They were dying. The problem was that it was NOT HIS bush dying IT WAS MY SHRUBS! My beautiful shapely shrubs that majestically sat in front of my front picture window! Two of them died! I had them removed one day. Since that moment I have had one shrub left standing and it made for a very uneven picture of the house! It looked rather stupid. I never did figure out what went wrong...why the "spell" I cast reversed onto my own shrubs! Could it be that the neighbor had place a "treespellis reflectis spell" on his bush? Regardless, my shrubs were all dead and/or dying. Today my parents replaced my dead shrubs. YAY!



Mom and I cleaned up the front yard by doing some light gardening, shrub planting and weed whacking. It sure looks a lot better, except for the neighbor's ugly eyesore shrub at the end of the drive. LOL



It was time to come in and what may prove to be the landmark of the visit occurred next. I introduced my parents to Veggietales. They know I'm in love with Larry. As a matter of fact, my mom brought me a dancing Larry that sings "The Hairbrush Song" and got a good kick out of that. Together we watched "Josh and the Big Wall" and my parent's seem to really enjoy them! I love Veggietales!



The whole framily sat down to a ham dinner that Katie lovingly prepared and dinner was gooooooooooooood! After that Katie and the kids headed to church and Mom, Dad and I sat around talking and sharing some laughs.



I'm having a good time with my parent's on their visit and I am so happy and so thankful to have them! I can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment