Sunday, October 26, 2003

Dry Spell Part II

Tubbs in his comment to my last post said "as much as I'd love to believe that dry spells are impossible in the Christian life, I have to admit to their existence." When I am "high" in the Spirit I can't ever imagine being in a valley. When I am on that mountain, the valley seems like it doesn't exist because as I look out over the horizon, I can't see the valleys, all I see are the many peaks that lead to that horizon.



God gives us the mountains to get us through the valleys.



You know that passage in Isaiah 40? C'mon, the one about eagles wings?



"31 but those who hope in the LORD

will renew their strength.

They will soar on wings like eagles;

they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint.






Do you know what Isaiah 40:30 says?



I thought I'd look up the word "faint" on the Bible Gateway and I discovered that in the NIV there are 38 verses that contain "faint" or some variation thereof. Some actually refer to men of God being faint or fainthearted. Glad to know I'm in good company, although, I wouldn't declare that my spiritual state is exactly faint at the moment. A bit weary and tired, but not to the point of total exhaustion enough that I would faint, or stumble.



Job grew faint. David even writes about being faint in his psalms. Jeremiah was faint. Being "faint" is talked about in Ezekial and Jonah as well. Being faint of heart is not anything that is new and Christians are not exempt from feeling a bit dry. We know God is here, lavishing His love on us. The only reason we may not "feel" it is because we are not allowing Him to be our life. I know that I stand in the way of that and I can't blame anyone but me.



It is a good thing that as a Christian I don't live my life based on "feelings". Sometimes I just live in obedience. God will bless that. I know He will. I will "soar on wings like eagles"! There is joy, it's just hidden right now.







No comments:

Post a Comment