Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Not of this World

I was reminded once again yesterday and most of today that I am not of this world.



I went to a business meeting in Louisville, KY. I go about once or twice a year to these District/Regional meetings. All the store managers from a few districts gather together for a day or day and a half to discuss "stuff". Basically it is all hum drum boring stuff with a few tidbits of real information thrown in. I particularly don't enjoy the meetings at all because all I want to do is be home. I can read, and to me the company could save a lot of money if they would just trust a manager to read the information. If a manager can't read and comprehend it, they have no business being a manager!



I digress.



When the first evenings meeting ends, it is time to "party". Many of the managers go out to eat and drink and do whatever. Not me. It's not where I want to be. I prefer my alone time in the room. As managers we only see each other once or twice a year so I do not really "know" anyone enough to call them friends or anything. Some of the managers seem to have good friendships and enjoy each others company at these meetings/social times. I must say that although "going out" with them is not what I want to do, I might like to be asked to join them. I guess they just know that I won't go so they don't bother asking, but it would still be nice to be invited you know?



At break times I usually go off by myself. Today I went out to Jeepers and read some of my book. (I'm gonna share some of the insight later in another blog.) I'm not missed by the group. It's not that I don't associate at all with these people, I do chat with them at the meetings and in the little breaks in between. I'm not totally anti-social, but, when it comes to actual "real" social interaction, I just don't fit. I can't fit.



The world around me at these meetings is sooooooo secular. I feel totally out of my element at times. When it comes time for the promo CDs to be passed out, I never rush to the boxes because I know that no one is going to take any of the Christian music or gospel CDs. (That's a plus! It's always left for me!) But, it's interesting to feel that way. I sit and listen to what is going on around me and I feel so removed. I keep thinking "I am in this world, not of it", and it is during times like yesterday and today that I am reminded of that fact!



Sometimes I have to admit, it makes me feel lonely and left out. Not that I have ever been one that "needed to belong" to anything, but that sometimes it's nice to be wanted. Sometimes it is just nice to be asked to join in the fun, even if it is not my idea of fun.



Then again, I did enjoy watching the History Channel alone in the room! I learned a heck of a lot about Wake Island and the fight for it during WWII. It will make playing Battlefield 1942 that much more interesting! Sometimes I wish I had more than one channel on my tv! See how weird I really am!? I don't watch tv!



No comments:

Post a Comment