Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Potential

In college, my trumpet professor shared a bit of wisdom with me one day as I struggled through a lesson I wasn't prepared for. He said "Potential is just a word".



I don't know why I thought of that, but I did, driving to brass choir rehearsal tonight. I guess it was because I was listening to a young woman lament about the man she might marry, who is very unmotivated and "doesn't have any goals in life." She stated she wants to be a stay-at-home mom and have a husband who will support his family. She justified the situation, and possible marriage to this guy, because he has "potential". I thought potential is just a word. I was thinking that if only she had that bit of wisdom she would possibly save herself from making a big mistake.



That was a great tidbit of wisdom I gained one day so many years ago. I wonder if that saved me from making some bad decisions in life. I bet it did. It also serves as a healthy reminder that potential isn't anything.



Then I started thinking about all the other bits of wisdom I accrued just because of the people that have crossed my path in my lifetime.



I had a very awesome band director in high school during my senior year. You know he is good because he is now conductor of the Eastman Wind Ensemble. It's a very prestigious group and now they have a great conductor to boot! Actually, they probably have never had a bad one. Anyway, one day Mark Scatterday said to me "don't be afraid to get where you are going in life because of who you know." At the time, as a young adult in my senior year, I was ready to take on the world and anything I got in life was going to be because I EARNED IT! Well, while hard work is important, I have learned that sometimes the "breaks" you need come because you know someone in the right place at the right time.



Now, I have a useful piece of wisdom for you, NEVER try to use tub margarine instead of stick butter when making caramel popcorn. Trust me, it won't work. LOL



So, what are some bits of wisdom that someone gave you during your lifetime and how has it impacted you? I'm curious to know so blog about it and let me know in the comments, or post your response in the comments here if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment