Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Did I Miss a Blessing?

Back in November I posted about a blessing I received because I felt led to help a stranger out who asked me for help. Tonight, I had another opportunity. It turned out different.

As I was leaving the mall a half hour after closing and walking to my jeep, a man walking rather quickly called out to me. He was behind me a bit to my right and I turned to see what he wanted. He was coming toward me seemingly rather aggressively, and said "Maam, can you give me a quarter for something to eat? Just a quarter...I won't have anything to eat unless you help me." I told him "No, I am not going to help you." It sounded so cold, I know that, but his words sounded so rehearsed that I expected him to start begging me for money and I thought I'd stop it before it started. The man replied. "Ok, Maam, God bless you, Jesus loves you."

What just happened? As I got into the car I thought "Yes, Jesus does love me. Even though I didn't feed this man tonight." Do I need to repent for my actions? Why was it that back in November that I so willingly helped someone who asked me for help, and tonight I turned a man away?

Was it the humility of the first man that let my heart feel compassion? Was it the aggressive way the man tonight walked toward me that scared me somewhat? Was it a spirit of discernment that said "no" tonight? Was it because the man was black? and large? I don't think so, but I have to put it out there. I was somewhat afraid by the way the man was coming toward me. He turned and walked away when I told him no, and then asked God to bless me. Why did the man say that? Was it a meaningful prayer from him? or was it something he used to "convict" me? I wondered why the man asked me for only a quarter...a quarter won't really buy him a meal you know?

I wonder if I missed out on another awesome blessing? Should I praise God for His protection tonight? Man! It's hard being a Christian!

No comments:

Post a Comment