Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Tornado Warnings and DVDs

Yesterday in Jackson, TN, the tornado sirens wailed for a good part of the late afternoon. My store was closed for about two and a half hours because the mall asked us to close and head to the corridors. Well, my backroom has a small room that is just as safe as the corridor so my crew and I felt confident in staying in the store and keeping abreast as to the weather conditions so if need be we'd take cover. The mall is NOT a storm shelter, so we are at our own discretion.

What amazed me is that people were actually out driving and coming TO the mall. Tornado sirens are being sounded all throughout the city, you really can't miss it. Do people honestly say to themselves "hey, a tornado's coming, let's go shopping!" at times like these?!?!

Tornados killed people in Jackson just a couple of years ago! It is fresh on many people's minds, that tornados are not things to fool around with.

A man was running from the parking lot, having just parked his car, to the mall holding the hand of his toddler daughter. Uh, dude,...the mall has been closed for the last hour and the sirens are wailing and why are you shopping at a time like this?...let alone taking your visibly frightened daughter out in the rain, thunder, lightning and wind while the sirens are blaring?

Then, when the warning finally ended, and I felt safe enough to leave to drive home, I lifted the gate to the store at the mall entrance and a guy, who has been sitting out in the mall for the last two hours, tried to enter! I said "we are not open" and he said "y'all have the new rasslin' DVD, Bret Hitman Hart?"

"Yes" I said as I lowered the gate and looked around at the rest of the stores that were CLOSED, with all of the gates DOWN.

<-- accent="thick southern drawl" -->"I sho do weaish I had thaet there DeeVayDay"<---/accent -->

Ummmmmm....let's see....life? or DVD? Life? DVD? Life? DVD? hmmmmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment