Sunday, September 11, 2005

Watered Down Grease

The school where my friend's kids are being educated is a Christian school. I have to say that it feels good knowing that they are in a school that supposedly teaches Christian principles, but I have learned that many of the students are NOT Christians. It seems that many of the students in this school are financially privileged and they are able to attend because they can afford to, not because they are Christians. (And some of the actual Christians that I know that attend, are able to on "scholarship".) I should do an entire post on that someday, but for today, the topic is Grease.

I digress...my post is in regards to the theatrical production of the musical Grease that Jackson Christian School is doing. If one has seen this musical/movie it is obvious that it is in direct conflict with a Christian worldview. Grease is NOT the word, the WORD is!

I grew up and was a tween when Grease was the big movie in 1978. I had the soundtrack and sang right along with every song on the album. I didn't even understand what I was singing! (I think I made up half the words anyway because I didn't understand a lot of them! LOL) It is a movie/musical fulled with humor and fun songs. But, I grew up, matured, and now see the world through the lens of a Christian and what I see is disturbing.

I'm not going to criticize each parent, who in their own home, may teach Christian values and yet will allow Grease to be shown in their own home. It is a totally different thing to be well-grounded in the faith and see productions that may/may not conflict with those values. It is ignorant to totally close oneself off from every "worldly" thing because, unfortunately for now, Christians are in this world and have to learn to deal with that. My problem is the fact that a Christian school is encouraging a theatrical production of such a thing, which as I see it, conflicts with their own mission statement.

Not only is the musical Grease VERY worldly, it is NOT something I believe a school, that prides itself on leading "students to love God by providing a quality values-oriented education in a Christian environment" (quoted from the JCS Mission Statement) should be performing.

The problem I have with Grease is that it has a story line in which a girl compromises her principles to be with a guy, and in fact, earlier in the musical she is the butt of jokes because of her innocence. Also, in the story, behavior such as smoking, drinking, and promiscuous sex, which even includes a pregnancy scare, is glorified. The story is carried along with songs that include lyrics such as:

"You know that ain't no s*** we'll be getting lots of t**
In Greased Lightning..."

"With new pistons, struts and shocks I can get off my rocks
You know that I ain't bragging she's a real p**** wagon".


I understand that those adults/teachers/directors of the production of Grease have searched out and found an "edited" version of the script where in the end, the guy goes "good" in the end. I can respect the "redemption" quality of an ending such as that, but does this really justify the entire production of something that will prompt many of those involved to seek out and view the original? What kind of values is this teaching the students of JCS?

I believe Grease is a direct contradiction of what a Christian worldview should be. I can't understand how a school can justify performing this. If one removes the drinking, smoking, sex, and edits the songs...it's not Grease anymore. It's WATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment