Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Heaven Will Pass Away

Katie and I were listening to Max McLean read from Luke last night. I've read the Bible through cover to cover twice and do a lot of Bible study and reading of the Word, but as I listen to his dramatic reading of the Word, certain verses stick out and take on new meaning to me, almost as if I'm hearing them for the first time.

Last night I heard something new in Luke 21 (click to listen to what I heard), specifically it was verse Luke 21:32-34:

"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap."
"Heaven and earth will pass away..."

Heaven will pass away? Then why do we want to be there?

heavenly cloudsI started pondering that and Katie and I discussed it over breakfast this morning.

Preceding these verses, Jesus was instructing his disciples about the fact that Jerusalem, the Temple in all it's glory, would be destroyed. He talked to them about the "end" and about "earthquakes, famines, and pestilences...". He encouraged the disciples to not worry and to trust in Him and to stand firm "to gain life" against those who will hate and kill them because of Him, but that "not a hair on their head will perish".

Jesus continued to talk about His return and the "signs" that will be obvious. He compared a fig tree sprouting leaves indicating summer is near, to the signs He shared will indicate the Kingdom of God is near. "Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world for the heavenlies will be shaken." Jesus tells the disciples that this is a time to rejoice, as their redemption is drawing near.

The Word is, the Word was, the Word shall be. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." The Word is the only eternal thing. The Word, the only imperishable thing, is what redeems us.

Katie said that heaven as we know it will pass away, that "all things will be new". But, I don't even know heaven!

God has always existed, but has heaven? No...God created heaven. Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." God, His Word, is eternal, but His Creation is not, because what He created will "pass away".

So, I went to Revelation 21:1-5:


"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
 Jesus comfortGod is all about new beginnings. The whole Noah and the flood thing allowed God to wipe out the bad and create opportunity for a fresh start. It seems God tears things down and then rebuilds, "destroy this temple and I will rebuild it in three days".

Heaven is a mystery, and once I am there, God will dwell with me. Heaven will pass away, but His "words will NEVER pass away" and His Word says this:

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!"
That sounds heavenly to me!

It bloggles the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment