Saturday, July 23, 2005

Googol

I called Katie from work today to help me locate a song. I could hear it in my head but couldn't come up with the title of it, let alone the artist, on the limited computer at work.

The customer who called me gave me a snippet of the melody and lyric, which I recognized, so this is what I had to go on.... a song from the 70s, light rock...
"And even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with ya honey,..."
and...

"And in the morning when I rise, you bring a tear of joy to my eyes, And tell me everything is gonna be alright."

It was driving me crazy! I took the customers name and number and told him I'd call back in 15-20 minutes because I knew I'd be able to come up with it. I could sing parts of the song! When I couldn't locate it I called Katie for help.

After a few minutes of her searching Google (and after I was frustrated because she wasn't finding it and I asked her "are you sure you are not Googling the desktop?" and she realized she wasn't going to find the answer on our own computer, LOL!) she finally found the answer Googling the Web!

I called the customer back and told him what and who it was.

He asked "how did you find that?" and I said "we Googled it" and then he said "I've been Googling for two days!"

So, the story ends happy and then I got to thinking...how weird the words "Google", "Googled" and "Googling" sound! LOL It really is funny sounding! Just a few short years ago, those terms and the way we use them were non-existant. Now, at least to those of us who spend any amount of time online, those terms are just part of pc/Internet vernacular.

Ever wonder where Google got that weird sounding name? I found the answer on the Google website:

Google is a play on the word googol, which was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner, and was popularized in the book, "Mathematics and the Imagination" by Kasner and James Newman. It refers to the number represented by the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros. Google's use of the term reflects the company's mission to organize the immense, seemingly infinite amount of information available on the web.

So, are you wondering what that song is? Go Google it!

No comments:

Post a Comment