Thursday, July 14, 2005

Abraham and David's COB

A COB you ask? A COB is a Crisis of Belief. I coined the acronym "C.O.B." while doing the Blackaby Experiencing God (links blogrolled under title "Books") study years ago. A Crisis of Belief is when one comes to a point that faith in God, or what God is calling one to do, requires action. It is that period that many Christians can doubt they are hearing God correctly and can sometimes "second-guess" and become confused. (Remember though, who is the author of confusion?)

Last night while Katie and I were viewing segment 4 of Beth Moore's Believing God study (links blogrolled under title "Books"), Moore talked about the crisis of belief that Abraham may have had, and also the COB of David. It was really thought provoking to me.


Segment 4 was all about believing that "I am who God says I am". Moore uses Ephesians 1:3-8 to give us some of the things that identify a person who is "in Christ". First of all, God loves all of His creation, all mankind, and in Christ we are blessed, chosen, adopted, accepted, redeemed, and forgiven. Moore was stressing that we must always remember that we are all these things, we are who God says we are! (and this is just from a few verses!)

She went through and explained in more detail each of those aspects of who we are in Christ and what some priority results of believing that we are who God says we are are. At one point she talked at length about transgressions and that Psalm 32:1-5 defines transgressions as "willful" or "premeditated" rebellion or crossing the line of God's law. Transgressions are forgiven and are not counted against us. In fact, God counts each opportunity we have to believe Him (to forgive) and adds those up! Even if we willfully sin, God forgives when we repent and are broken-hearted, that is a chance to believe Him, believe Him to forgive. God also forgives general sin, those that we don't mean to do, but do. God forgives all transgressions!

Abraham and David both committed horrid sin against God. These were willful transgressions. Abraham had this problem with truth-telling and adultery, and David too had an adultery problem and tried to cover up his indiscretion by having a man murdered. Both of these men are considered great men of faith, however, Moore brought up something that was very interesting to me, she said that it is quite possible that these men suffered their crisis of belief when they questioned if they really were who God said they were.

I can say I believe God, and if I truly do, I will believe what God says about me! God says I am loved, blessed, chosen, adopted, accepted, redeemed and forgiven! I've always thought about a crisis of belief as something that makes me doubt God's way, or will for my life, but a COB could mean I don't believe I am who God says I am. That whole concept is so profound to me!

God is who He says He is!
God can do what He says He can do!
I am Who God says I am! (loved, blessed, chosen, adopted, accepted, redeemed, forgiven!)
I can do all things through Christ!
God's Word is alive and active in me!

I'm believing God!


I've posted once before on this subject when I considered my "worth" according to the Bible. So, if you want some more to think about, click HERE. In that post I did explore the "fact" that I am worth $1,593,542!

No comments:

Post a Comment